Moving interstate

Licence restoration, Zero Condition etc
confused5555

Moving interstate

Postby confused5555 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Hi,

While in Victoria I received an alcohol interlock in 2009, then moved states for work. In 2010 Tasmania didn't have the interlock condition, so they restarted my licence from scratch, removing the condition from my licence. After 4 years I moved back to Victoria and didn't notice Vic Roads had put the interlock condition back onto my licence until I attempted to transfer my licence to a Tasmanian licence for the second time. Now Service Tasmania want to put the condition onto my licence but I feel as though it's not fair as having had to restart my licence previously.

Can I get the interlock condition taken off?

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Moving interstate

Postby Hardy » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:44 pm

So since 2013 you have been driving around Victoria in breach of your interlock condition?!

To get your interlock condition removed, all you need to do is drive around for 6 months with an interlock installed, remain 0% the whole time, then make application to the Magistrates Court of Victoria for an interlock removal order. The court will check the 6 months of reports to ensure you have been zero, maybe ask you a few questions, and then permit you to remove the interlock condition. I can't see any reason why you can not accrue your 6 months of interlock use while in Tasmania and on a Tasmanian licence, and I can't see any reason why you need to hold a Victorian licence to have the interlock condition removed in Victoria although that seems a bit weird and might be troublesome for Tasmania. Whether you think it is fair or unfair misses the point. You have failed to follow the required steps to remove an interlock condition that applies to your licence. Some would say it is unfair that you have been driving all this time without any interlock installed.

Return to “Relicensing & Interlocks”