Vehicle impoundment query

Improper use of a motor vehicle
D13S3L85

Vehicle impoundment query

Postby D13S3L85 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:37 am

Hi there,
Just doing some research on behalf of my partner's sister and I have searched the web with no answers.
She was caught drink driving and had her car impounded for 30 days. She is on her P plates. The impound fine is just over $1000 which she cannot afford and was told if she does not pay by the end of the 30 days her car will be seized for good.
Is this true? Is there no options for her to still hold onto her car and pay off this amount, community service work, etc?
I'm not sure exactly but I assume she will also have a suspended licence so the option to apply for hardship I believe is void.
In the end this is a better scenario than sending her car to the wreckers after losing control, hitting another car or pedestrian and taking lives so the justice system has done their job well in this case.
Im just curious as to what options she has available now.

Thanks.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Vehicle impoundment query

Postby Hardy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:45 pm

It's not a fine. It is the cost of the towing and storage.
She has two months to pick up her car else they can apply to a court for permission to sell it.
http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/viewd ... s84zq.html

If the car is not worth $1000 then just let them keep it.

D13S3L85

Re: Vehicle impoundment query

Postby D13S3L85 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi Hardy. Thank you for that info. Unfortunately it's worth around $7000 current market value although when she purchased was worth $12000 so she's going to want to start saving I think. Although it's a little better than she anticipated as she was under the impression that in 30 days if she doesn't pay up say goodbye to her transport.
Thanks.

Return to “Hoon Driving and Vehicle Impoundment”