P-Plater 35km over the limit

PPlaterMum

P-Plater 35km over the limit

Postby PPlaterMum » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:50 pm

My son is 18, nearly 19 and on his red Ps. He just got caught on the Wellington Rd East Light camera 35km over the speed limit. What is the suspension period for a P-Plater? I could not find it online. The car is in my husband's name so my husband was issued with a 6 month suspension. All the online forum posts seem to indicate it is not worth fighting in court. My son has had a rough last 2-3 years - least of which are COVID, mental health issues, learning difficulties and after 3 failed trials as a pre-apprentice, has nearly successfully completed his first 12 months in an apprenticeship. Is there any point going to court or should he just cop it? I am also worried because I checked the camera photo online and can't see his P-Plates displayed in the tinted window... you can only see a faint shadow. He was just in a good place, it is highly likely he will now lose his job because his work is on the road, this will set him right back.

oscar

Re: P-Plater 35km over the limit

Postby oscar » Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 am

Same suspension for son. 6 months.

Fight it if he wants.

Your son is an absolute idiot for driving that fast, just FYI.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:36 pm

It may well be worth fighting in court if you engage a solicitor. The question of whether or not it's worth it is entirely up to you based on how important keeping his licence is versus the cost of the solicitor and the prospects of success.

Have a look through Sean's website and go from there.

PPlaterMum

Postby PPlaterMum » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:44 pm

Thanks for your replies Oscar and Gravy. I agree he was an idiot Oscar, we won't be fighting it if it is indeed 6 months suspension. Hopefully he will learn his lesson - if he loses his job, so be it. A very painful life lesson - as parents we cannot rescue them all the time. He is prepared to cop it on the chin. Thanks also for the referral Gravy.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:02 am

If you can’t justify spending $5000 to avoid 6 months license loss then it is not worth taking the ticket to court.
I’m guessing all the people who say it’s not worth it don’t really need their license. Considering many p platers I see in this situation have no problem spending $5000 on parts and accessories blinging out their car it is weird that they bulk at spending money to save their license. I’m guessing they’ve calculated it is cheaper to drive whilst suspended.

Return to “P Plates & Learners”