Pedestrian knocked down by bike

& other vehicles including Pedalecs, Carts & Horses.
Hardy
Site Admin

Pedestrian knocked down by bike

Postby Hardy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:38 am

A 59-year-old man has been knocked unconscious by a cyclist in Melbourne and taken to hospital with a head injury.
The man had been at a tram stop in Northcote and was looking at his phone when he stepped on to a bike path, a police spokeswoman said.
He was then hit by a cyclist on St Georges Road on Tuesday, causing him to fall down and hit his head.
Police say the cyclist, described as being a middle-aged man in a black top and shorts, didn't stop to help after the 4.30pm crash.
He was last seen riding northbound from the tram stop.
The injured man lost consciousness due to the crash and woke up with several others surrounding him.
They helped him back to his nearby home, but he was later taken to St Vincent's Hospital with a large lump and cut on his head.
Anyone with information about the cyclist crash is asked to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/cycli ... z2xCXECFap

Doesn't sound like the cyclist has committed any offence, even if he offered no assistance at all. In a collision between a cyclist and a pedestrian, neither of them has a legal obligation to help the other.

rustyone

Re: Pedestrian knocked down by bike

Postby rustyone » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:48 am

gee sean that's a bit cold coming from you. I'm sure if some person was running for the tram and knocked you over you would expect them to help you up at least (moral thing to do).

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:28 pm

Yeah, the person responsible should at least apologise, offer to pay for the damage and call an ambo if necessary.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:44 pm

I would have thought that the cyclist would have stack it, if they hit a pedestrian. The cyclist should have stopped and given assistance even if there not require to by law, behaviour like that just gives everyother cyclist a bad name. And if wondering I actually get on my road bike when I am not behind the wheel of a bus.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:33 pm

Extremely likely the cyclist would have come down like a sack of spuds. So many unanswered questions left by the story which commenced as a police media release - the police trying to locate a cyclist they want to question regarding an alleged offence of fail to render assistance after an accident. Although there is not enough information to form any opinion about whether or not the cyclist stopped after the accident or rendered assistance, one thing we can conclude is that the police are wasting their time because hit and run is not a cycling offence.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:12 pm

Ok, I'm curious...

If RR 287 requires a driver, if owing to the presence of a vehicle* an accident occurs involving injury, to a) stop, b) render assistance, and c) provide details, how is it that "hit and run is not a cycling offence"? Is it because 'driver' does not include a rider in this rule?

The next logical question is... Is the rider of a motor bike required to observe RR 287, or are they covered by s61 of the Road Safety Act?

'Driver' is not as well defined in the RSA as it is in road rules and 'rider' is not defined at all in the former. Given this, is the rider of a bicycle (bicycles being explicitly listed as a specified vehicle) not required to observe s61A of the RSA?

*Defined by rule 15 and includes a bicycle.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:43 pm

Gravy wrote:Ok, I'm curious...

If RR 287 requires a driver, if owing to the presence of a vehicle* an accident occurs involving injury, to a) stop, b) render assistance, and c) provide details, how is it that "hit and run is not a cycling offence"? Is it because 'driver' does not include a rider in this rule?

The next logical question is... Is the rider of a motor bike required to observe RR 287, or are they covered by s61 of the Road Safety Act?

'Driver' is not as well defined in the RSA as it is in road rules and 'rider' is not defined at all in the former. Given this, is the rider of a bicycle (bicycles being explicitly listed as a specified vehicle) not required to observe s61A of the RSA?

*Defined by rule 15 and includes a bicycle.

They haven't really defined what a is "vehicle" or for that matter what is "not a motor vehicle" that well in RSA.

This is the first time I've read the RSA, I noticed in RSA that if the driver of vehicle hits an animal and injures or kilsl it the driver of the vehicle is required to stop, as in South Australia we not required to under the Road Traffic Act to stop for an animal.

Return to “Bicycles”