Advice needed, speeding in school zone

Prolaser III, Prolaser IV, Prolite+
funnyme

Advice needed, speeding in school zone

Postby funnyme » Tue Feb 18, 2020 11:35 am

Hey guys, if anyone could give some advice on whether I should appeal my penalty, it would be greatly appreciated.

What happened was that I was on a major road (80km/h limit), then turned left into another major road (normal limit is 70km/h) and then a minute or so later a police came out behind me and pulled me over. Police told me I was going 29km/h over the limit in a school zone, and my license would be suspended for 3 months. I was so shocked as I didn't even know I was in a school zone (there aren't any schools around and I drive in this area a lot), because all I ever see is the 70 sign on that road after the intersection. I looked in google maps and found that in fact there is a 40 sign right after the intersection I turned in, and then after that it's back to 70. So basically the police hid right between that 40 and the 70 sign, so they would catch someone like me who didn't even notice the 40 sign (because it was immediately after I turned). I admit I was driving in that speed, but that is because I did not know I was in a school zone and thought the limit was 70, if I knew, of course I wouldn't be speeding 29km/h over the limit!!

I was hoping if there's a way to appeal this so at least I don't get my license suspended... I really need to be able to drive my kids to school, childcare and work.

Thank you.

Gravy

Re: Advice needed, speeding in school zone

Postby Gravy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:12 pm

Read this page on Sean's website first. The decision on whether or not to take the matter in front of a magistrate will depend on several factors however, the circumstances you describe are not one of them. What you describe simply admits guilt.

funnyme

Postby funnyme » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:55 pm

Gravy wrote:Read this page on Sean's website first. The decision on whether or not to take the matter in front of a magistrate will depend on several factors however, the circumstances you describe are not one of them. What you describe simply admits guilt.

Thanks Gravy... looks like I pretty much got no chance :cry:

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:19 pm

You've got no chance if you think explaining how it happened is useful. It is doesn’t matter what you were thinking or what you believed. If you really want to win then get advice. I've won 3 drink driving cases in the past week (Waite on 10/2, Armstrong on 14/2, Schweiger on 18/2) - none of those clients thought they were likely to win until they got advice.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:46 pm

funnyme wrote:Thanks Gravy... looks like I pretty much got no chance
It's much too early to come to that conclusion. You've only got no chance if you rely exclusively on that written in your original post. It's entirely possible that you have an excellent chance based on any one of dozens of other things for which a lawyer will look.

Return to “Lasers”