9K of very old infringements - best options?

Enforcement Orders, Revocation Applications, Sheriff's warrants, PEWs.
Goozoo

9K of very old infringements - best options?

Postby Goozoo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:54 pm

Hi Folks. I logged on to the Fines Vic website and found I still have 26 Enforcement Warrants (all dating between 2012-2014) still showing.

What are my best options here?

A. Apply for a payment plan (it’s under the 10K threshold)
B. Request revocation as the warrants must be expired by now?
C. Engage a Lawyer to help (not in a position to affords the 1000’s they charge but may consider)
D. Continue to ignore – no one has contacted me about them in all these years – will they disappear eventually?

Breakdown of Fines:
17 x Citylink (ex-wife left epass without credit for a few months)
3 x Speed (<10km)
2 x Speed (10-15Km)
1 x Speed (15-25Km)
2 x Parking
1 x Public Trans

Goozoo

Re: 9K of very old infringements - best options?

Postby Goozoo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Just a follow-up question on the payment plan option.

Does anyone know if there is a formula for the approval?

I already understand it has to be under 10K, which I already qualify for.

How about the monthly amounts - taking my 9K at $100 a month it's 90 months or 7.5 years - which I am guessing pretty unlikely to be approved.

I am thinking of option suggesting $250 per month (which will be a bit of a hit every pay) but would drop it down to 36 months - 3 years.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:54 pm

If you want to pay it off you don't need to apply for a plan. Just go online each month and pay $100 against the youngest fine.
Else just ignore them until the sheriff knocks.
When a debt is over $8000 - especially if it is for tollway or speed camera offences, not so if it is all from court fines or parking fines - it may be worthwhile getting a lawyer to help get the amount reduced.
The only realistic way for most people to get the amount reduced is to ignore the fines, transfer all motor vehicles out of your name, wait for the sheriff to knock on your door and give you a court date, then see a lawyer prior to the court date. If the debt is over $8,000 this will very likely save you money provided your lawyer does not charge ridiculous amounts.

Goozoo

Postby Goozoo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:44 pm

thanks so much for replying.

I would be fine with paying the $100 (or more) online each month, but with that option, there is still nothing from the Sherrif knocking and demanding payment the whole lot.

I can't afford a 9K lump-sum but I can make monthly payments - what I really want is the constant nagging background stress of this out of my life.

As for the registration, no I have no had a vehicle registered in my name for almost 5 years.

PS/ out of curiosity, is any Sherrif knocking anywhere in Melbourne during lockdown?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:38 am

Well, if you read my last post again it will be really clear what you should be doing.
I have not had any client come to me with a PEW for about 2 years now. Still waiting for the sheriff to fix his computer system.

Return to “Infringements Court”