Letter of demand - car insurance claim

Trentos

Letter of demand - car insurance claim

Postby Trentos » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:32 pm

I was redirected here from a user on reddit. Thanks for reading..

Hello guys. Let me explain:

So in October last year I hit a women's car while reversing out of a parking spot. I stopped and gave her my licence and number... The damage was a scratch of paint about 5cm long on her right rear quarter panel, no dints. I did not take a picture as I was not thinking at the time, it's my first incident and first car.... After a few months of not hearing about the incident I assumed she had it taken care of and didn't bother to go to her insurer as it was a minor scratch. Today I received a letter in the mail from her insurer (AIG Limited) in it contained a letter of demand for $7,500 and an invoice from a smash repairs mechanic. The list of repairs is a page and a half long, ill include pictures.... I cannot pay this amount nor do I believe I am responsible to, it seems as though there are repairs that wasn't a result of the incident. My friends think it is weird that it took the lady over a month to get the repairs done after the incident and then another 3 months for the insurer to contact me, they also believe she got everything wrong with her car fixed as most of the items are not related to the incident that happend ... I'm not sure what I should do, any suggestions?

- I'm not insured

- I didn't take pictures of the damage

- I know I should have had insurance, I learned the hard way

Invoice from mechanic - https://imgur.com/a/U05T8km?fbclid=IwAR ... 7Y70l1SfeU

You can see that a new door, tail lights, door mould/inner seal and sill panel steps have been added to the invoice, which has nothing to do with the area i hit the ladys car?

Thanks a lot.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Letter of demand - car insurance claim

Postby Hardy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:00 pm

Have you got photos of the damage to your car?

Trentos

Postby Trentos » Thu Feb 13, 2020 5:51 pm

Thanks for responding Hardy, there is no damages to my car at all, the scratch was caused by my bullbar, which has many marks from the previous owners, none look new nor is there any paint on there that matches her car.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:34 pm

You hit her car with your bullbar while reversing out of a car spot.
So impact was a scratch running front to rear along the rear quarter panel.
Ask them to provide you with photos of the damage. They will have heaps of them.

Trentos

Postby Trentos » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:33 pm

I emailed the case worker earlier today and asked for photos... Now I must just wait to see.

Trentos

Postby Trentos » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:20 pm

Today i was emailed the damage and i can say with full confidence I didn't cause any of this. The scratch with i caused on the quarter panel isn't even included in the pictures.

Here are the images: https://imgur.com/a/iPKqxwX

What do you recommend i say to them in my reply? Or should i just ignore the letter of demand and wait for another request / action?

Thanks a alot.

Return to “Insurance”