Giving way to buses

Taxis, trams, buses etc
allde

Giving way to buses

Postby allde » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:37 am

Now we all know that we give way to Public Buses, does the same apply to a private school bus?
If there isn't any "Give way to Buses" sign on the bus, there is no legal oblgation to give way to the bus?

busdriver

Re: Giving way to buses

Postby busdriver » Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:45 pm

allde wrote:Now we all know that we give way to Public Buses, does the same apply to a private school bus?
If there isn't any "Give way to Buses" sign on the bus, there is no legal oblgation to give way to the bus?

That is correct, you only required to give way a bus that displays that sign at the rear of vehicle. The only buses that are to have that sign displayed are ones that under a government urban route contract (this can include rail replacement services) or government school bus contract, which may include students from private schools. Beware if a bus that has that sign is being used a private charter (for example a bus that is normally used on urban runs) then you are still required to give way to it.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:26 pm

That's right. If there is a sign on the bus you need to comply, and it is not your job to try and work out what the bus is being used for. See road rule 77.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:41 pm

Also I should have added that the driver of the bus is to indicate for at least 5 seconds before pulling away from the kerb, see Road Rule 48 (3). Unfortunately some of my colleagues are too impatient to wait 5 seconds before pulling out, I've lost count how many times I've almost be wiped out by a bus, that has just suddenly pulled out in front of me. :x

nemo

Postby nemo » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:58 pm

Plus 90% of them use the hazards once they have stopped. When they're ready to pull out they cancel the hazard lights but maintain the right signal not realising that it is much harder to notice that the near side indicator has stopped flashing, especially if you're already close enough to only miss one or two flashes. Even worse when you're moving slowly and are already alongside the bus so as not to be in a position to even see the left indicator. The first you know the bus is moving is when it's pulling into your path.

Or the one the other day where the right indicator was flashing, I stopped but only to find nothing was happeneing. As I slowly pulled level with the front I saw the driver on the kerb having a smoke, totally oblivious to his indicator happily flashing away.... Grrrr......

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:29 am

It's illegal to have your hazard lights flashing unless your vehicle is broken down and not legally parked.

LEO

Postby LEO » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:15 pm

Hardy wrote:It's illegal to have your hazard lights flashing unless your vehicle is broken down and not legally parked.

Sorry but you are wrong Hardy, suggest you give RR221 another look over as there are many situations that you can legally use your hazard lights.

allde

Postby allde » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:39 pm

LEO wrote:
Hardy wrote:It's illegal to have your hazard lights flashing unless your vehicle is broken down and not legally parked.

Sorry but you are wrong Hardy, suggest you give RR221 another look over as there are many situations that you can legally use your hazard lights.

Hmmmm, seems his right Hardy, There's obstructing vehicles, carry children etc.

221 Using hazard warning lights
The driver of a vehicle fitted with hazard warning
lights must not use the hazard warning lights, or
allow them to be used, unless—
(a) the vehicle is stopped and is obstructing, or
is likely to obstruct, the path of other
vehicles or pedestrians; or
(b) the vehicle is a slow-moving vehicle and is
obstructing, or is likely to obstruct, the path
of other vehicles or pedestrians; or
(c) the vehicle is stopped in an emergency
stopping lane; or
(d) the driver stops the vehicle to sell a product
(for example, ice creams) that may attract
children onto the road; or
(e) the driver is driving in hazardous weather
conditions (for example, fog or smoke); or
(f) the vehicle is a bus carrying children, and the
driver stops the vehicle to drop off or pick up
a child and is required or permitted to
operate the hazard warning lights under
regulation 31(5) of the Transport (Passenger
Vehicles) Regulations 2005; or
(g) the hazard warning lights are operating as
part of an anti-theft device or an alcohol
interlock fitted to the vehicle.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
Notes
1 Bus and alcohol interlock are defined in the Road
Safety Act 1986, hazard warning lights is defined in
the dictionary, and emergency stopping lane is defined
in rule 95.
2 Driver includes a person in control of a vehicle—see
the definition of drive in the dictionary.
3 A vehicle does not obstruct another vehicle only
because the vehicle is stopped in traffic or is travelling
more slowly than other vehicles—see the definition of
obstruction in the dictionary.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:38 pm

I forgot to mention this before but there is one road in Australia where Australian Road Rule 77 does not apply, that is the North East Busway (Also Known The O-Bahn) in Adelaide. On the North East Busway a bus or any other vehicle that pulling away from kerb must give way to any vehicle that is through running through a station on the busway.

You won't see this in the road rules, but there is operating manual for the vehicles that use Adelaide O-Bahn. An amendment was made to the Road Traffic Act 1961 for the operating manual to have effect on the busway.

The busway is actually classed a public road even though the public can not legally drive a vehicle on it.

Leroy

Postby Leroy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Also a lot of dedicated "bus-roads" in sydney might have a similar situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool%E2%80%93Parramatta_T-way

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:02 am

Leroy wrote:Also a lot of dedicated "bus-roads" in sydney might have a similar situation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liverpool%E2%80%93Parramatta_T-way

The busways in Sydney and Brisbane are just road ways basically, I know the busway Brisbane just operates under normal road rules and it's uncommon to see maintenance vehicles and emergency services vehicles using the busway's in Brisbane. The Adelaide Busway is a guided track (excecpt for the interchange areas where just a roadway), no other vehicles other than busway equipped buses or the busway recovery truck can safely or legally use it, hence why there operating manual for it, even though it classed as a public road. The only reason they classed the Adelaide busway as public road is so the police charge drivers under the Road Traffic Act when incidents and accidents occur on it, including drivers that drive their car down track, which seems to happen about every 6 months and they normally end up driving into the pit in the middle of track and getting stuck.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:39 am

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Hardy wrote:[ img ]

Yep thats the normal ending for cars that drive on the track. Though one bloke use to drive his 4wd down the track every night after the last bus went through, until he got caught by police. Drivers of unauthorised vehicles on track, generally get fined for disobeying a no entry sign, plus there normally up for recovery costs as well if their vehicle get stuck on the track.

nofines

Postby nofines » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:28 pm

busdriver wrote:Also I should have added that the driver of the bus is to indicate for at least 5 seconds before pulling away from the kerb, see Road Rule 48 (3). Unfortunately some of my colleagues are too impatient to wait 5 seconds before pulling out, I've lost count how many times I've almost be wiped out by a bus, that has just suddenly pulled out in front of me. :x

Last week on Burwood Hwy, bus had it hazards flashing in bus zone. I had enough room to stay in left lane while bus was in the bus zone. About 20 meters before I drew level with the back of the bus the bus started to pull out with hazards still flashing. Travelling at 80kmhs I was not able to stop and was partly forced into the middle lane as the bus continued to move out despite me being beside it. Got past without collision but with much swearing at buses and incompetent bus drivers.

*Dislikes law as there would have been no proof I was in the right.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:32 pm

nofines wrote:*Dislikes law as there would have been no proof I was in the right.

Three words: Dashboard mounted camera.

I'm considering getting one, mostly because of the stories I read on this website! :lol:

allde

Postby allde » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:29 pm

Had mine for a few years now, highly recommend them.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:14 pm

nofines wrote:
busdriver wrote:Also I should have added that the driver of the bus is to indicate for at least 5 seconds before pulling away from the kerb, see Road Rule 48 (3). Unfortunately some of my colleagues are too impatient to wait 5 seconds before pulling out, I've lost count how many times I've almost be wiped out by a bus, that has just suddenly pulled out in front of me. :x

Last week on Burwood Hwy, bus had it hazards flashing in bus zone. I had enough room to stay in left lane while bus was in the bus zone. About 20 meters before I drew level with the back of the bus the bus started to pull out with hazards still flashing. Travelling at 80kmhs I was not able to stop and was partly forced into the middle lane as the bus continued to move out despite me being beside it. Got past without collision but with much swearing at buses and incompetent bus drivers.

*Dislikes law as there would have been no proof I was in the right.

Road Rule 77 does not apply when the posted speed limit is above 70km/h. Some bus drivers need to learn to look in the mirror before pulling away from the kerb.

LEO

Postby LEO » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:12 pm

busdriver wrote:Road Rule 77 does not apply when the posted speed limit is above 70km/h. Some bus drivers need to learn to look in the mirror before pulling away from the kerb.
There is no speed limit requirement in RR77 in Victoria.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:18 pm

LEO wrote:
busdriver wrote:Road Rule 77 does not apply when the posted speed limit is above 70km/h. Some bus drivers need to learn to look in the mirror before pulling away from the kerb.
There is no speed limit requirement in RR77 in Victoria.

You are correct on that one Leo, in Queensland Road Rule 77 doesn;t apply if the speed limit is greater than 70km/h, so much for the Australian Road Rules being uniform across Australia.

allde

Postby allde » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:00 pm

Can a Private Bus e.g. Private School Bus, legally use Pubic Bus Stops to off load School children when they stop the flow of traffic?
I was under the impression that Public Bus Stops were for only Public Buses.

Return to “Public Transport”