Section 204(1)

and Citylink and East-West Link
Marnie

Section 204(1)

Postby Marnie » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:40 pm

I have just received 4 fines for this section 204(1) at $144 each!!! This is the first time ever in years of driving the Eastlink. Because we have always lived not he opposite side of Melbourne and rarely used Eastlink, we didn't have an E-tag. However we moved to the 'right' side of the Eastlink last year and have used Eastlink infrequently, always paying the toll fees as they were sent to us by Eastlink. We have a proven record of paying those fees.

I had no idea it was actually illegal to drive on a toll registered road without being registered to drive that area. The warnings on signs I thought meant to having to pay an increased toll fee rather than a police / civic compliance fine. I have just realized this now - a very expensive way to do so.

Is there anyway I might be able to negotiate to pay half of the fines, rather than all four or am I going to be stuck on this one? Any tips or suggestions? Long shot I know, as the law often says that ignorance of a law is not an excuse.

In the meantime, time to get an E-tag. :-(

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Section 204(1)

Postby Hardy » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:45 pm

The only options you have are:
1. pay the infringement notices, or
2. elect to take them to court and sort it out there - most likely with a lower penalty imposed.

svetsi

Postby svetsi » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:22 pm

Marnie wrote:I have just received 4 fines for this section 204(1) at $144 each!!! This is the first time ever in years of driving the Eastlink. Because we have always lived not he opposite side of Melbourne and rarely used Eastlink, we didn't have an E-tag. However we moved to the 'right' side of the Eastlink last year and have used Eastlink infrequently, always paying the toll fees as they were sent to us by Eastlink. We have a proven record of paying those fees.

I had no idea it was actually illegal to drive on a toll registered road without being registered to drive that area. The warnings on signs I thought meant to having to pay an increased toll fee rather than a police / civic compliance fine. I have just realized this now - a very expensive way to do so.

Is there anyway I might be able to negotiate to pay half of the fines, rather than all four or am I going to be stuck on this one? Any tips or suggestions? Long shot I know, as the law often says that ignorance of a law is not an excuse.

Is this Eastlink you're talking about? East of Melbourne?
Since when did you have to register to use that road? The toll part I mean.

I have never heard of this kind of thing before.

I have always used it in the past and then phoned up and paid the toll. Can't you do that anymore?

allde

Postby allde » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:39 am

svetsi wrote:
Marnie wrote:I have just received 4 fines for this section 204(1) at $144 each!!! This is the first time ever in years of driving the Eastlink. Because we have always lived not he opposite side of Melbourne and rarely used Eastlink, we didn't have an E-tag. However we moved to the 'right' side of the Eastlink last year and have used Eastlink infrequently, always paying the toll fees as they were sent to us by Eastlink. We have a proven record of paying those fees.

Is this Eastlink you're talking about? East of Melbourne?
Since when did you have to register to use that road? The toll part I mean.

I have never heard of this kind of thing before.

I have always used it in the past and then phoned up and paid the toll. Can't you do that anymore?

Following with interest, news to me as well, always paid the toll next day via 13LINK.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:51 pm

Paying the toll the next day is the act of registering your car for the journey the previous day. The law requires your car to be registered for use on the tollway for the day of travel, and there are several ways to do that. But doing anything will result in your vehicle not being registered for travel on the relevant date and an infringement notice will then issue.

svetsi

Postby svetsi » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:55 pm

Hardy wrote:Paying the toll the next day is the act of registering your car for the journey the previous day. The law requires your car to be registered for use on the tollway for the day of travel, and there are several ways to do that. But doing anything will result in your vehicle not being registered for travel on the relevant date and an infringement notice will then issue.

Yes, but don't they send you out a toll notice with an admin fee? I have received these in the past when I didn't know I was on a Tollway (somewhere near Melbourne CBD). The total amount was around $30, not $144.

Maybe this is a new Toll Road scam to drain a little more from struggling families.
I got stuck on the Tullamarine freeway not long ago. I rang up straight away and the minimum I was allowed to pay was $15.60. That's for one trip and I got off as soon as I knew I was on it. It can be very confusing if you don't know where you are. It's legalised crime in my opinion and I'm sure many will agree with that.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:22 pm

As I said, there are various ways of paying, and waiting for the late toll invoice is one of them. If you don't pay on the late toll invoice then an offence is committed.

Return to “Bitching about Eastlink”