Red light turning left having to give way to a J-Walker

Yellow Lights
wesleysnipes

Red light turning left having to give way to a J-Walker

Postby wesleysnipes » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi,

I was turning left at the corner of Johnston and Wellington St Collingwood. I had to give way to a pedestrian whom was crossing on a red man. As can be seen in these images. https://ibb.co/9ZXyQBM https://ibb.co/VNS2RvG.

I understand that I was in the intersection but I had no other choice.

My appeal was rejected and I am now planning on going to court.

What should I argue as I will be representing myself for financial reasons.

I will appreciate any assistance

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Red light turning left having to give way to a J-Walker

Postby Hardy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:50 pm

Your vehicle entered the intersection after the light turned red.
The pedestrian had nothing to do with it. He didn't cause you to enter on red. He may have prevented you from completing the turn, but the camera does not record or care how you exit the intersection in a red light case.
I think we've all seen situations where drivers have had their passage into an intersection interrupted, but they then enter the intersection and complete the turn irrespective of the lights as if it was their entitlement to do so.

From the information you have provided I have no idea what you could possibly argue. I've never heard of anyone winning a red light camera case merely by saying "the light wasn't red when I entered the intersection". How could that work when the photo is not taken unless you enter the intersection after the light turns red?

wesleysnipes

Postby wesleysnipes » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:38 pm

Thankyou very much for your input Hardy.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:33 am

I should add for completeness that there are ways to win a red light case, but not in the way you propose. So I don't want to give the impression that it is impossible. Some people might want to argue the camera system is faulty, but that is very unlikely to work without compelling evidence to prove it to be faulty. Unfortunately relying on the magic of legalese is going to cost a few thousand in legal fees, which not many people want to spend on a camera fine so they somehow manage to find cheaper ways to deal with them.

Return to “Red Lights”