Red Light Ticket Due to Vehicle Blocking Intersection

Yellow Lights
MtnCdo

Red Light Ticket Due to Vehicle Blocking Intersection

Postby MtnCdo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:16 pm

Hi Sean,

I got a 3 pointer recently due to being snapped at a red light in the CBD. I remember the incident clearly, given the circumstances, and was anticipating the ticket.

Here's the story: I had partly entered the intersection, looking to make a hooked right turn. I say partly because I was behind an SUV who had his right turn signal flashing, but was only just barely inside the intersection.

Then, the light turned yellow, at which point the SUV lurched forward in a desperate bid to complete his turn. However, he was unable to complete his turn due to the red car jumping the red in the opposite lane (see first picture: https://ibb.co/gjRQAf). The light turns red and we all smile for the camera.

At this point, I'm sitting smack in the middle of the pedestrian intersection. I briefly consider reversing, but decide against it since there are vehicles approaching from my rear (though not visible in the first picture). The SUV is still blocking me, and pedestrians start giving me the finger, so I do the only thing I can and turn left with my tail between my legs. 0.8 seconds later, the second picture is taken, and the SUV can be seen STILL chilling right there (see second picture: https://ibb.co/g9StwL).

Now I felt I had a valid reason, so I wrote a very nice and long letter to Vircroads and included printouts of the pictures. Only later did I realise this was futile, and sure enough they responded back telling me to go stuff myself (or words to that effect). So I asked for a court hearing. I was still feeling good about my chances, but after reading through the interwebs and your forums, I'm not so sure anymore. What do you think mate?

Thanks very much in advance!

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Red Light Ticket Due to Vehicle Blocking Intersection

Postby Hardy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:34 pm

I can win it, but it is a bit expensive. If you really need to win then make an appointment to see me.
As for you winning it on your own, it is possible, but I don’t like your chances at all if your only argument is what you have said above. The photos show you pretty plainly entering the intersection against a red light.

MtnCdo

Postby MtnCdo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:05 am

Thanks for the advice Sean.

So I currently have 10 points accumulated (don't ask!). Meaning that this 3 pointer gets me to 13.

Given that:
a) I live and work in the city, and walk to work
b) I will be travelling for a month between Dec and Jan

I'm thinking I'll just bite the bullet, grit my teeth through the 3 month suspension, and then start with a clean slate.

If I can bother you for one more piece of general advice: So do I just inform the courts I'll be appearing on the hearing date stated on the summons to plead guilty, show up and plead guilty, pay the fine + court costs if any, and then await the suspension notice?

Thanks again mate!

allde

Postby allde » Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:56 am

Why would you plead Guilty, you have nothing to lose plead not guilty, who knows you might even get a magistate with common sense and dismiss the case.
my 2 cents...

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:59 am

If you plead guilty at least 33 days before you go away for a month, then the suspension should commence before you leave. If you plead not guilty the case will be heard in February or later. You can guilty in a case like this by attending court on any listed date and pleading guilty, else write to the court and indicating your plea in a letter if you can't attend.

MtnCdo

Postby MtnCdo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:50 am

allde wrote:Why would you plead Guilty, you have nothing to lose plead not guilty, who knows you might even get a magistate with common sense and dismiss the case.
my 2 cents...

Because I'm tempted to just wipe the slate clean and start fresh, and I can manage without driving for 3 months without too much inconvenience.
Last edited by MtnCdo on Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

MtnCdo

Postby MtnCdo » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:52 am

Hardy wrote:If you plead guilty at least 33 days before you go away for a month, then the suspension should commence before you leave. If you plead not guilty the case will be heard in February or later. You can guilty in a case like this by attending court on any listed date and pleading guilty, else write to the court and indicating your plea in a letter if you can't attend.

So the hearing date listed on the summons is Nov 20, whereas I plan to leave on Dec 12 (i.e. less than 33 days).

So perhaps I should plead guilty in writing ahead of the Nov 20 date.

Thanks again for the advice Sean. You're a legend mate!

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:39 pm

To do that you need to abridge your court date to 12 November or earlier.
Some courts won't let you do that.

Return to “Red Lights”