Right hand turn red light at Plenty Rd and Dunne st Kingsbury

Yellow Lights
BJR

Right hand turn red light at Plenty Rd and Dunne st Kingsbury

Postby BJR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:49 am

Hello All
I have received a fine for turning right from Plenty Rd into Dunne St intersection. I was travelling at 70km on Plenty Rd coming up to the intersection, and saw that the lights had turned green including the right hand arrow, I moved into the right hand turn lane, with the lights still on green, and just as I hit the intersection I saw that the lights had started to move to amber, but of course I was travelling at a speed (legal) and on top of the intersection, which it would have been dangerous to hit the brakes at this stage. Anyway I received a fine for going through a red light camera for an elapse time of 1.1 sec. In the first photo my front wheels are past the stop line on the road, and the nose of the car into the pedestrian crossing area. Do I have a case to dispute this fine?

Gravy

Re: Right hand turn red light at Plenty Rd and Dunne st Kingsbury

Postby Gravy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:47 pm

BJR wrote:with the lights still on green, and just as I hit the intersection I saw that the lights had started to move to amber...
I received a fine for going through a red light camera for an elapse time of 1.1 sec.

It seems impossible that both of those statements are true if you were travelling at 70km/h. How can the light turn amber as you hit the intersection, yet enter the intersection only after 1.1 seconds of red light? I suppose it could work if you are defining the "intersection" to include a pretty long turn lane on the approach (which would be incorrect).

I think either your recollection of the events is a bit hazy or the description of them is embellished. To answer your question, you might as well just pay the pay fine if your plan is to take the story you posted to a magistrate.

BJR

Postby BJR » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Hi Gravy
You maybe right, I may have to explain myself better. But can you tell me if I was in the intersection with my front wheels over the stop line on the road, as seen in the first photo?

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:39 pm

If your wheels are over the stop line, then you are in the intersection. See rule 56(1)(a).

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:32 am

When you get to court you will be facing a charge laid under r.60.
"If traffic arrows at an intersection or marked foot crossing are showing a red traffic arrow, and a driver is turning in the direction indicated by the arrow, the driver must not enter the intersection or marked foot crossing."
So the stop line has nothing to do with it. You should take it to court if winning is important to you. If it is really important to you then you should also engage a lawyer to defend the charge.

Return to “Red Lights”