speed camera school zone

redman2858

speed camera school zone

Postby redman2858 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 1:36 pm

Hi Guys I have received a speeding fine in a speed camera controlled school zone, the speed is reduced to 40 from 70 during set times 8-9:30am 2:30-4pm clearly stated on signage as "school days". The date of the infringement was 18th may but at the time all Victorian schools where closed due to covid, they reopened on the 26th may. I appealed the fine based on the fact that the camera should have been set to weekend or school holiday mode. The appeal was rejected with no reference at all to the circumstance, just a generic letter stating a warning would be not be appropriate. So my main question here is should i take this to court or cop it sweet, a concern is how many others will get this, in my opinion illegal fine. I also sent through the image taken from camera clearly showing no crossing control people working that day, it is a multi lane crossing so there would normally be quit a few.
thanks Mark

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: speed camera school zone

Postby Hardy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:07 pm

The issue is whether it was a school day, not whether students were at school. Unfortunately the legislation was not closed due to Covid and it's the legislation which specifies which days are school days. Most students were studying at home because it was a school day.
Anyway the schools were not closed. Plenty of people were attending school during that period.

Gravy

Re: speed camera school zone

Postby Gravy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:42 pm

My old man drives school buses. Even through stage four lockdown, he has still been driving his route as there are certain kids who are able to attend school. The only time he wasn't driving was during the modified school holidays. All of May was within the school term, so it seems the speed limit was 40km/h as it was a school day.

Return to “Speed Camera Offences”