Does handheld camera work in the rainy night?

Prolaser III, Prolaser IV, Prolite+
jeriying

Does handheld camera work in the rainy night?

Postby jeriying » Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:53 am

Hi,

I was issue a speeding ticket by an unmark police car at 11.30 pm in a raining conditions. I was in the left hand side of the road and there was 2 other cars beside me at that time. The policeman stop my car and say I was doing 76km and I told the officer I was not speeding.I am very sure I was doing 60 km at that time.

I want to know if handheld speed detector work in the night raining conditions? Do I have a strong case to object?

I have printed out the weather conditions on the 15/11/2014 it stated raining and wind speed 11km-19km.

Is the handheld speed camera reading valid in night raining conditions?

Thank you.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Does handheld camera work in the rainy night?

Postby Hardy » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:10 am

First, there is no such thing in Victoria as a hand held speed camera.

The effective range of a laser speed measuring device is reduced if rain, fog or smoke reduces visibility.
So if it is raining, it is likely the vehicle has to approach a little closer to the device for a reading to be produced than would be the case if it were not raining. Considering most readings are taken around the 200m mark (well within range even on a rainy day) rain is unlikely to have any noticable effect on operation of the device in typical urban situations.

jeriying

Postby jeriying » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 am

I read on the internet Drive .com.au, there was an article that say Lidar speed camera does not work well in the dark or during rain. Even the police spokesman admit in the article that weather conditions like night and rain does affect the speed camera reading.

Day

Postby Day » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:13 am

Yes. It makes it harder to get a reading. It doesn't mean the reading is wrong. Only that the drivers had less chance of being detected. Those detected are likely to have been speeding.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:34 pm

Speed cameras do not stop your car.
So anything you have said about speed cameras is irrelevant to your situation.
Speed detectors are not affected by sunlight - nor lack of sunlight. It is more likely they work better at night.

nofines

Postby nofines » Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:06 pm

Hardy wrote:It is more likely they work better at night.

Umm, no, assuming all Australian handhelds use LIDAR. Radar still in use??

Hardy wrote:Speed detectors are not affected by sunlight -

Not true if LIDAR is used. Pointing the LIDAR device near a setting sun can stop the detector from detecting the pulsed Laser signals. Though not applicable in this instance.

It also possible to get false LIDAR readings from cars travelling next/near each other, especially if the operator cannot clearly see the outline of the car as would be likely on a wet night with low street lighting. Worse if the handheld unit was Radar.

Not sure if Australian handheld cameras need to be pointed at the number plate. Anyone know?

Another consideration is if the operator was pointing the unit through a closed window/windscreen as it was raining. Not sure how glass can affect readings though have heard (unreliably) that police shouldn't operate unit through glass.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:19 am

Pointing the LIDAR device near a setting sun can stop the detector from detecting the pulsed Laser signals.

That's one of the reasons why these devices are more likely to work better at night.

And as I have already said, there is no such thing as a hand held speed camera in Victoria. All speed cameras are mounted on poles or bridges or vehicles or tripods. This is because speed cameras operate through slant radar and must be set out pointing at the correct angle in order to get a good measurement.

jeriying

Postby jeriying » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:46 pm

Hi,

This is the article from Drive.com.au

Speed guns don't work well in the rain

Speed detection equipment works by sending a series of signals from a device, bouncing that signal off a target vehicle, and measuring the distance it travels in a set time.

Poor weather can affect the accuracy of radar and laser-based speed detection equipment.

Operating guidelines for the Stalker brand of speed gun say "Rain absorbs and scatters the LIDAR signal. This reduces the range and increases the possibility of obtaining readings from the speed of the raindrops".

The operator's manual for another common brand of speed gun says "visibility conditions also affect the performance of the ProLaser III ... atmospheric or climatic conditions that impair vision also adversely affect the operation".

A Victoria Police spokesman told Drive "certain weather conditions may have an impact on the speed detector's effective operational range".

"Operators trained to use speed detectors are instructed on the impact of weather and can identify adverse effects caused by weather conditions," he says.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:04 am

That is all true. In order to measure the speed of raindrops, you would need to aim the laser at the clouds in heavy rain. I have not seen police members standing in the rain doing that, or issuing tickets for that. If you aim a laser across your back yard on a rainy day you are not going to get a reading, especially because it can not measure the speed of a target which is moving perpendicular to the laser beam. All the rain does is make it harder to measure the speed of moving vehicles because it reduces the effective range (but not the accuracy) of the laser beam.

jeriying

Postby jeriying » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:53 am

Hi,

I was issued a speeding ticket on a raining night at 11.22 pm on the 15/11/2014 with a handheld speed detector.
a) I was on the left side of the road
b) There was 1 car on the right side beside me
c) It was raining
d) It was during the night
e) I check weather forecast wind speed is between 11-19 km at that time.

I have never seen a speeding ticket issue during raining days with a speed detector.

Do I have a strong case to object to this fine?

Day

Postby Day » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:11 am

No. Not based on any points you make. That does not mean that a lawyer can't find something to work with once they see the brief.

jeriying

Postby jeriying » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi,
I have receive the court summon it is a Pro Laser 3 speed gun. Anyone know an expert or lawyer who can take up this case?

jeriying

Postby jeriying » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:34 pm

My case is on the 3/7/2015 in Sunshine Magistrate court.

allde

Postby allde » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:44 pm

jeriying wrote:Hi,
I have receive the court summon it is a Pro Laser 3 speed gun. Anyone know an expert or lawyer who can take up this case?

Mr Hardy could help you with your little indiscretion, you'll have to ask him to take up your case if you want a chance of getting off.

Day

Postby Day » Sat Jun 20, 2015 10:49 pm

So it's gone to hearing? You've passed first mention and now are looking for representation?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:55 am

If you want a lawyer and an expert for a 3 point speed ticket, it sounds like you have a demerit points problem. For points problems the best time to get help is the day you first realise you might soon have a points problem. Anyway, getting legal help is very easy. See http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/conference.html

Return to “Lasers”