Laser set up guidelines

Prolaser III, Prolaser IV, Prolite+
Dasher

Laser set up guidelines

Postby Dasher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:59 pm

I got pinged for doing 87 in a 70 zone alleged speed was 85 at 169.2 meters which I disputed at the time.
The spot at which I was measured was a 3 lane road of which i was in was the extreme right lane at the bottom of a 40 degree incline of about 300 meters in length.
The police car was parked in a centre of road right turn lane with a line of 20 large trees and utility poles along the centre median strip from 10 meters in front of him to over 180 meters.
I returned to the spot and took measurements & photos of the scene for reference and conclude that in the position that the police car was parked ( possibly illegally?) it was impossible for him to have clear line of sight for the duration of the time spent measuring of me as required in the set up guidelines for the measuring device which I have read.
At the spot where it is alleged that my reading was taken it would be impossible to get a clear line of sight as required, if it was further away he could not have seen me.
I sighted the measuring device when it was requested but stated that I was not doing the speed alleged.
I also asked if it was not company policy to set up at the bottom of an incline and if so why did they,with the response that it would only add about 2 kph to my speed which was the deduction allowed which I also disputed at the time.
Later that day I ran a test on the same section of road I started rolling at 70k at the top of the incline at finished at 82k at the bottom, are you expected to drive with your foot on the brake when going down every incline?
Do you think I have a case to dispute, your answer will be most appreciated please?
Thanks

oscar

Re: Laser set up guidelines

Postby oscar » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 pm

object to the ticket, see what is written in the brief you obtain, then decide whether you want to plea guilty or not guilty

Day

Postby Day » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Yes, you are expected to control your speed on slopes. Also the company policy you asked him about was with regards to cameras and not lasers. What is the length of time quoted in the manaul you have read, and do you have a link to it? Can you also give us a google maps link to the location to help visualise the situation?

Dasher

Postby Dasher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:16 pm

http://tipmra.com/kgb/WEB/general/ProLaser%20III_om.pdf
Pages 11-12
There is no specific time mentioned in the manual but it does say that the operator must have clear line of site during the procedure which would be about 5 or so seconds in obtaining a reading.

I will try and post a couple of photos

Day

Postby Day » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Dasher wrote:There is no specific time mentioned in the manual but it does say that the operator must have clear line of site during the procedure which would be about 5 or so seconds in obtaining a reading.

Its 3 seconds. Given that the top of the slope is 300 meters and he released his finger from the trigger 169.2 metres away from him, could you have travelled the 130 odd meters in 3 seconds at the speed he alleges?

Also, be aware, if there are articles in his way that cut the beam, it would work against him as the unit wouldn't get a reading. So he would have stood in a position where he had full view even if you didn't see him.

Dasher

Postby Dasher » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:54 pm

He wasnt standing outside of the car,he was sitting in a car parallel to the oncoming traffic with a row of 15 trees and poles in his direct line.

I dont know who was actually operating the gun, passenger or driver but dont recall seeing it out the window,at anything more than 169.2 he couldnt have had clear line of sight and at 169.2 very minimal if any clear sight and if he didnt have clear sight at anything further than 169 how did he aim the gun at me.

He would have had clear sight of the car beside me in the middle lane though and come to think of it he didnt pull me up until about 3 or 4 k's down the road after i made a right hand turn onto another road.

Funny thing was I saw the car sitting in the middle turn lane and as i went past he didnt flash his lights at me, when he did a u turn and chased me he didnt have his lights on as i had had a look and even when he pulled up behind me at the lights waiting to turn he didnt have his lights on, it wasnt until i did the turn that he then switched them on after about 100 mtrs or so makes me wonder if he thought he had the wrong car?

Is a police car able to park in a turning lane to obtain a reading, would have thought the answer would be NO unless he had his lights flashing as if another driver did the same thing it would be illegal?

can you post photos on here?

oscar

Postby oscar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:18 am

you know what dasher, he must have had nothing better to do than make your reading up, he should have been out catching proper criminals, or maybe his quota was low for that day and he didn't have enough for the toaster and yes he must be parked legally with his lights on and his hat on and he must ALWAYS obey all the road rules and must not speed or anything in order to catch you

why not read sean's multiple pages or FAQ's - there's actually lots to read and it answers most of your questions

here's an idea or two, shut up and pay the fine or object to it and you'll have the opportunity to tell the magistrate every road rule the copper broke in order to achieve his quota for the day (don't forget to tell the magi that the copper couldn't possibly have done what you imagine he did to obtain the reading - which probably wasn't even for your car - it was the car next to you that was obviously speeding but the dumb copper can't tell the difference anyway)

don't forget to tell the magi that you can't possibly be expected to apply your foot brake to remain within the speed limit and you returned to the same stretch of road later that same day and this time DELIBERATELY broke the speed limit

:mrgreen:

Dasher

Postby Dasher » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:35 am

@ Oscar,
Thanks very much for you comments they are much appreciated you pompous arsed cock sucker.

What's the point of having a public forum to ask questions when you get a smart arse like yourself ridiculing everything that you put forward.
You weren't there,you didn't see,you didn't hear but come up with a vitriol like you posted above that smacks the face of anybody that asks a genuine question,this is what a forum is for.
According to you by the sounds of it, all police play it straight down the line and never ever deviate and never make mistakes & never make things up,yeah you got that right I don't think.
Hope you can sleep at night but it must be very hard with your head stuck up your arse .

oscar

Postby oscar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 am

apart from the occasional *cough* sarcastic comment by me, did you take anything from my post?
like read sean's FAQ's?
like object to the ticket and wait for the other side of the story, rather than putting your interpretation on it?
if you stop and read sean's FAQ's you will see that 90% of your posting is just crap and a waste of time even mentioning
you do make a couple of interesting comments/observations, but they are buried beneath so much sh it that even a magistrate would have stopped listening well before you even mentioned them in passing
go and see sean, pay him his conference fee and stop crapping on about irrelevant stuff here
or, look between my sarcasm and read the stuff / do the stuff you've been told to read
over to you big boy
:roll:

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:22 am

The police car was parked in a centre of road right turn lane with a line of 20 large trees and utility poles along the centre median strip from 10 meters in front of him to over 180 meters.

Are you saying the police set themselves up at a site to measure people's speed, but it is impossible for them to measure anyone's speed because they parked where a line of trees and poles blocks them from having a clear view of the road?

If they can't get a clear view of the road, first they would not park there because they would not be able to book anyone. Secondly, even if they did park there, they would not get any speed reading of your car. So it seems that your defence is the police are committing perjury, that they never got any reading on their device at all. So there is no need to find the operations manual for the laser. All you need to do is prove that no person could see a car coming down the road from where the police were sitting. If you could see them sitting in the median maybe they could see you coming down the road?

The problem is you are trying to adduce evidence that something is impossible, which is a lot harder to do than prove that something is possible. When you get the police brief it will say how they measured your speed. Another problem is even if you satisfy the court that they tracked you for only 1 second, you then need to show the court that the reading is wrong or unreliable. You will struggle to link the one second of tracking to an erroneous reading. The Supreme Court has said that showing a failure to follow instructions is not a defence unless there is a law that requires the instructions to be followed.

Chef

Postby Chef » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Oscar, I take it you aren't missing us city folk then ;-)

oscar

Postby oscar » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:07 pm

no mate, much prefer the attitude of the drivers round these parts

you can keep the city slickers :)

Day

Postby Day » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:05 pm

Chef wrote:Oscar, I take it you aren't missing us city folk then ;-)

Oscar is Countrified now?!? Did I miss summit? :shock:

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:23 am

at the bottom of a 40 degree incline of about 300 meters in length.

Baldwin St in Dunedin is a 19 degree incline and claims to be the steepest residential street in the world.
So where is your 40º hill?

[ img ]

allde

Postby allde » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:11 pm

Perhaps standing on one leg, tilting the head backward 22 Degree's and whistling Dixie.

Yep that would do it.

Mutley

Postby Mutley » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:16 am

This 40 degree incline is a concern ... I'd only be guessing, but I reckon you would actually fall off a road with a 40 degree incline???!!!

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:02 am

Maybe, so I guess the question is whether sliding down the slope would be a defence to speeding?

What I'd like to know is how those residents put their garbage bins out in the evening.

Return to “Lasers”