72 km/hr in a school zone.

Prolaser III, Prolaser IV, Prolite+
rustyone

Re: 72 km/hr in a school zone.

Postby rustyone » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:17 am

sorry herja, sounds like your stiff out a luck. the copper was looking down the laser sight at all the traffic and probly did not notice that the 40Kph sign had gone out, it was only at the point that he was writting your ticket that he looked at his watch and then probly the sign thinking "well i just got that one in time". If its going to kill your licence act on it, if not pay it and be prepered for ti next time. :(

BN2

Postby BN2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:19 pm

Boki wrote:Police members are trained to round it up/down the nearest 5 min interval on the infringement notices

That's incorrect.

Boki

Postby Boki » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:24 pm

You're incorrect.

BN2

Postby BN2 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:34 pm

Boki wrote:You're incorrect.

I have been in the job 2.5 years, done the laser training, done temps at 2 different highway patrols, given hundreds of tickets, and never once been told to round up any time on my PINS. Nobody I know of has been told to round up the time. Nowhere in the VPM does its say round up the time.

But you seem to know more than me. :roll:

oscar

Postby oscar » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:51 pm

he knows EVERYTHING !

Boki

Postby Boki » Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:03 pm

BN,

I appreciate your attention to detail, but it goes unrewarded nearly all the time in your line of work. Remember you can always round down the time as well, 2-3 minutes either way doesn't hurt, unless time becomes a major element in relation to the offence. If you get it spot on like you do, then great. When you become a SC you'll start learning which aspects of your job need more attention that others.

Oscar,

No need to get jealous about it, if you need to know something - just ask.
And I since you're here we'll ask you. I'm sure you've seen more than enough summons in your lifetime. Usually at the start of the statement made by the informant (where it states the date and time), what are the words that are most commonly used just before you see the numeral values that indicate the time of the offence?

oscar

Postby oscar » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:20 pm

at approximately...

your point would be....?

bluesky

Postby bluesky » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:01 pm

Boki wrote:BN,

I appreciate your attention to detail, but it goes unrewarded nearly all the time in your line of work. Remember you can always round down the time as well, 2-3 minutes either way doesn't hurt, unless time becomes a major element in relation to the offence. If you get it spot on like you do, then great. When you become a SC you'll start learning which aspects of your job need more attention that others.

No need to be patronising and supercilious.

Boki

Postby Boki » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Absolutely correct Oscar. Spot on. Could not have asked for a better answer. Excellent.

bluesky wrote:No need to be patronising and supercilious.

Sorry if I gave that impression, completely unintended. The principle behind what I said doesn't apply just to VicPol but to virtually everyone that is employed.

oscar

Postby oscar » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:50 pm

and your point would be ?

Boki

Postby Boki » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:47 pm

oscar wrote:and your point would be ?

That "approximately" is a very flexible word.

oscar

Postby oscar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:41 am

your point that police write every ticket to the nearest 5 mins is wrong

LEO

Postby LEO » Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:56 am

Come on boki even you aren't that dumb, you know why approximately is used.

When I write an ticket the time that is written as offence time, is the time my watch says it is, why would I possible bother rounding it. :?

Why don't you just admit that you were wrong about the rounding to the nearest 5 mins.

Boki

Postby Boki » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:58 pm

LEO wrote:When I write an ticket the time that is written as offence time, is the time my watch says it is,

So do you first make note of the time when you see the offence and then later write it down on the notice, or do you first make the intercept for about 4-7 min and then approximate the time when writing the notice.

oscar

Postby oscar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:20 pm

Boki wrote:
LEO wrote:When I write an ticket the time that is written as offence time, is the time my watch says it is,

So do you first make note of the time when you see the offence and then later write it down on the notice, or do you first make the intercept for about 4-7 min and then approximate the time when writing the notice.

either way is appropriate

and this AGAIN has nothing to do with your stupid assertion that police round time

Boki

Postby Boki » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 am

oscar wrote:either way is appropriate

Wouldn't you agree that one way is more preferable than the other in terms of accuracy? The way that is less commonly used compared to the other?

oscar

Postby oscar » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:29 am

AGAIN .... what has this to do with your stupid assertion that police round time to the nearest 5 mins?

LEO

Postby LEO » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm

As Oscar has said either way is appropriate, it can also depend on the situation.

So Boki where did you get this stupid idea that Police rounded to the nearest 5 minute?

Boki

Postby Boki » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Coincidentally, all the infringements I've seen (nearly a dozen in the past 3-4 years) are multiples of five (minutes). So is this a very rare coincidence or is it something more?
Oscar's previous answers only prove that police have a bit room to work with when determining what time to put on the notice. Guess it's up to the individual that's writing up the infringement.
Time to go ask more people to show me their infringement notices. 8)
Last edited by Boki on Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chef

Postby Chef » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:40 pm

Boki wrote:Coincidentally, all the infringements I've seen (nearly a dozen in the past 3-4 years) are multiples of five (minutes). So is this a very rare coincidence or is it something more?
Oscar's previous answers only prove that police have a bit room to work with when determining what time to put on the notice. Guess it's up to the individual that's writing up the infringement.

So your previous claim that there was "training" is now withdrawn then as its been shown to be totally baseless?

To answer something that you previously raised, when I did school zone based laser enforcement, when I activated my voice recorder as soon as I had a car in excess of 40+ I would state into it the rego, speed, lane detected and the time as per my watch.

I would often ask a driver what the time was on their dash clock if they ever raised the question that there was several minute gap that might give rise to some argument over whose watch we were working from.

Return to “Lasers”