Retained speed readings.

Prolaser III, Prolaser IV, Prolite+
Hardy
Site Admin

Retained speed readings.

Postby Hardy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:48 pm

I have a recording of HWP police talking about having a retained reading on their laser and implying it might come in useful if they catch up to the speeding driver they looking for ("I've got 115 on the laser if you want it - heheheh"). No, there was no laser operation happening prior to the chase.

Perhaps Asaf was right? http://www.theage.com.au/national/false ... -gn8k.html

Day

Re: Retained speed readings.

Postby Day » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Have you ever represented anyone against Asaf as the informant?

oscar

Postby oscar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:20 pm

funny how she made those found-less allegations trying (and failing) to defend her speeding

why didn't she have a chat with ESD or the OPI ?
Last edited by oscar on Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:21 pm

Yes, prior to date of her offence. Don't ask me to recall the details though.

Day

Postby Day » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:25 pm

As far as the words of the police go, how did they have a retained speed if not performing laser duties. Doesn't it lose the reading after unpluging the device? Also wouldn't reviewing the previous ticket in their book show whether it had been used in the previous intercept as the details of the speed and distance reading would be identical?

Lastly, as a defence Barrister, if you were to represent the officers should they get into trouble for an alleged breach such as perjury based on the recording? Would you be able to argue that the words themselves had little meaning and could just be the result of joking around, hence the " heh, heh".

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:41 pm

The context was the police did a u turn and took off after a motorbike that had accelerated past them very quickly from the lights in a 60 zone. Police travelled about 300m at over 100kmh and then the passenger in the car announces he has a laser speed reading at 115kmh, which he could easily get if he aimed the laser through the windscreen at a bridge or sign as he went along.

The laser can run on batteries and hold the reading until the batteries run out, but if it is plugged in to the power source then it can retain the reading for as long as it is plugged in and switched on.

Of course they can say they were joking. All those Qantas business class passengers who make remarks about bombs after their duty free cognac gets confiscated still get charged even though they were joking. At issue is not whether it is a joke, but whether it can happen. Obviously it can, and this casts a cloud of doubt over the authenticity of speed readings obtained from devices that do not contain a time and date stamp. Also, it should not be hard for the engineers to make a laser with a GPS in it so it can retain data showing the operator's location and speed at the time the measurement was taken. After all, my phone can do that when it takes a photo.

oscar

Postby oscar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:44 pm

sean, lasers exist with built in video cameras

trust me, police would LOVE them, and you would hate them - bye bye contests.... but VicPol are too cheap to buy them

Day

Postby Day » Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Hardy wrote:
Of course they can say they were joking. All those Qantas business class passengers who make remarks about bombs after their duty free cognac gets confiscated still get charged even though they were joking.

Different situation, different context. The officers are having a private coversation within their vehicle. I could understand if they were out in the open and were overheard. Some one joking about carrying bombs in a public area surrounded by fellow travellers can't expect the same consideration. Especially after, Lockerbie, etc.

Hardy wrote: At issue is not whether it is a joke, but whether it can happen. Obviously it can, and this casts a cloud of doubt over the authenticity of speed readings obtained from devices that do not contain a time and date stamp.

There has always been a cloud of doubt. Just look at the many online forums where people try to use it as an excuse. The easiest way to disprove it would be the fact that the officer had multiple tickets from the one book, in order with the same reading and contact distance. Anyhoo, would you be able to convincingly argue that they were just joking? Would you be able to offer these officers the same sort of service you would your regular clients?

Cheers?
Last edited by Day on Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chef2

Postby Chef2 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:34 pm

Doesn't sound like you have a recording of anything other than members talking sh*t and you will spin it to suit whatever context you like?

As you have said, you can put the allegation to the members and when it's denied, you have a recording of nothing other than banter.

Retained readings are the easiet thing to disprove by way of running sheet or checking the PINs either side of the one being defended.

Asaf is not someone I would put a lot of faith in. Workcover didn't either.....

oscar

Postby oscar » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:36 pm

Chef wrote:Asaf is not someone I would put a lot of faith in. Workcover didn't either.....

hhhmmmm....i hear you ex-chef.......looking for a payout.......perhaps she should have tried a 'traditional owner of the land' route.... :wink:

Slattery

Postby Slattery » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:40 pm

Hardly worth jeopardising your career over.....
There are enough dickheads out there without having to do that.

Return to “Lasers”