Registration paid but car not registered

Licences, Registration, RWC, ADR
amrai

Registration paid but car not registered

Postby amrai » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:39 pm

My registration expired on 12/4. I was overseas and subsequently discovered I had taken the wrong renewal notice with me. I rang Vicroads on Monday 18/4 and obtained the Bpay payment details (Bpay number and ref number) and the payment amount. I then paid the amount via Bpay. The money left my account but, other than my bank statement, I do not have any form of receipt. I have checked that I paid the correct amount. However the reference number I was given by VicRoads is completely different to that on my renewal notice.

I returned to Australia on the 19/4. Last night 22/4 I was stopped by the police and told my car was not registered. I have subsequently checked the Vicroads site and my vehicle registration is listed as expired. This is a long weekend and there is no afterhours number for Vicroads. They will not be back until Tuesday. This is a rather large inconvenience. Any ideas what I can do?

freddie

Re: Registration paid but car not registered

Postby freddie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:57 pm

I think once VIcRoads can trace that they received your payment before 22/4 then there's a good chance you can get the infringement notice withdrawn. You appear to have done everything within your power to renew your registration. You called VicRoads, you obtained payment information, you made payment.

Dont drive the car again until it's resolved.

If you go into VicRoads on Tuesday, presumably they can reconcile the payment you made via BPay to your renewal notice and then your car will be registered again. Then ask them for written evidence of when they received the BPay payment. And also an acknowledgement that they provided you with incorrect payment information over the phone.

Request an internal review of your infringement once you have some evidence from VicRoads showing that you had paid the renewal (using information provided by VicRoads) before you got fined. If the review gets knocked back then object and take it to court. I can't see a magistrate upholding that fine when you paid the money and it didn't get applied because of vicroads error.

In future I recommend paying your rego renewal online using vicroads website with a credit card, all you need is your vehicle rego and then there's no stuffing around with reference numbers. You will also get an email receipt so you have proof of payment.

freddie

Re: Registration paid but car not registered

Postby freddie » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:10 pm

Post by behun here https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/195339 suggests that Vicroads might take care of the whole thing for you, including cancelling the fine.

Return to “VicRoads”