ECU chipping and exhaust modifications

Licences, Registration, RWC, ADR
Tango

ECU chipping and exhaust modifications

Postby Tango » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 am

I am tryng to find the relevant Victorian legislation that does not allow ECU chipping/ECU remapping and exhaust modifications that may impact upon the emission ADR compliance when the car was first sold.

Various people say you can chip a car but then some insurance companies say you cannot not. So trying to find what can and cannot be done - legally and still meet RWC

busdriver

Re: ECU chipping and exhaust modifications

Postby busdriver » Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:18 pm

Have a look at this, https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... nformation

As for chipping or ECU remapping your vehicle, you may find that your vehicle may no longer meet the emissions standards. Most the of mechanics that I've spoken too over the years (well the ones that don't sell or install those products), say that its not a good idea to either to chip or remap the ECU.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: ECU chipping and exhaust modifications

Postby Hardy » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 pm

say that its not a good idea to either to chip or remap the ECU.

Unless you own a 2012 Golf TDI, in which case you might need to remap it if you want your car to meet ADR :roll:

Oh, and there is no legislation. These things are found in rules and standards that are not governed by parliament. You will probably not find any rule that prohibits chipping or remapping. It is possible to chip or remap without changing the car's compliance in any way, so I don't think you are going to see a blanket ban on chipping. Likewise, there is no ban on changing your car's exhaust pipes even though it is possible to change your exhaust pipes and render your car non-compliant.

Return to “VicRoads”