Religious Discrimination in Vic Roads

Licences, Registration, RWC, ADR
allde

Religious Discrimination in Vic Roads

Postby allde » Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:55 am

Is it standard practise in Vic Roads for them to discriminate against your God of Choice?
Seems his imaginary god of choice is just as real and as valid as their imaginary god of choice.

Religious discrimination--an open letter to VicRoads
Dear Vicroads,

Today I had a fairly offensive and traumatic experience at your Carlton location on Lygon Street in Melbourne. I had checked beforehand and it says on your website that religious headgear IS allowed in license photos.

I wished to wear my religious headgear which easily met the requirements outlined on your website ( https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/licence ... quirements ). I explained to 3 different staff members that I was a Pastafarian. 2 of your staff members openly told me that my religion was not real, and not recognised by VicRoads. The manager, Melissa, stated that she was not allowed to discuss the matter, but had been told that I was not allowed to wear my religious headgear in the photo. When I asked her, however, if she would be okay if one of her staff members refused to take the photo with a Sikh or Muslim individual, she said certainly not, that indeed she would require her staff members to take the photo of such an individual with their religious headgear.

In light of all the above, I have a few questions.

1. Can you please clearly outline what the official and public VicRoads policy is regarding religious headgear in license photos?

2. Is it indeed the official policy of VicRoads to allow the headgear of certain religions in license photos, but not of other religions, as I was clearly told by 3 different employees at your Carlton location?

3. If that is the policy, is it a policy of only allowing religious headgear from certain specified religions? Or is it a policy of specifically excluding the religious headgear of certain religions? That is, when the employee at the license renewal location decides whether or not to allow a particular piece of religious headwear, are they intended to be deciding whether the headgear meets a list of requirements for inclusion, or are they intended to be deciding whether it meets a list of requirements for exclusion?

4. Is it the official policy of Vicroads for your employees to be telling individual of minority religions like mine that our religion is "not real"? Do you agree that that this is a profoundly offensive thing for your employees to say to a customer? If so, what steps has VicRoads taken, and what steps will you take in the future, to train your employees not to say such profoundly rude and offensive things to members of minority religions?

5. What further steps I can take towards being allowed to wear my religious headgear in my license photo?

Finally, if indeed it IS your position that Pastafarianism is not real, I would like to say that I'm happy to provide reams of evidence that my religion is real and that my religious beliefs are sincerely held. There are literally millions of Pastafarians in the world, and yes, while obviously we don't have the numbers of the really big religions like Christianity and Islam, that doesn't make us any less real. Pastafarians have done really amazing things to make the world a better place. For instance, We are the number two lending team among religions on Kiva, an organisation that helps individuals provide micro-loans for people in the developing world which has had a profound and lasting impact for good on many many lives. See http://www.kiva.org/teams?category=Reli ... gregations. I look forward to your timely and clear response.

Best regards,
Benjamin Ady
Thornbury, Victoria.

http://insideoutupsidedownunder.blogspo ... er-to.html

Gravy

Re: Religious Discrimination in Vic Roads

Postby Gravy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:32 am

I read somewhere that this was tested in another country (Scandinavian, I think) and the bloke was allowed to wear his colander in his licence photo.

I'm not a pastafarian, but I am a fan of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Good luck to Mr Ady.

allde

Postby allde » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:47 pm

R'amen Gravy, R'amen.

May you be touched by His Noodly Appendage.

Alison

Postby Alison » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:42 am

Seriously?? I feel sorry for the VicRoads staff who have to put up with this nonsense!

richard_m_h

Postby richard_m_h » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:55 am

Perhaps Vicroads could adopt the Russian approach

The deputy chief of Moscow’s State Traffic inspectorate, Vladimir Kuzin, told Russian that Mr Filin’s victory for the satirical Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster comes with a catch.

“The next time he is stopped by the traffic police, if he doesn’t have a pasta strainer on his head, his licence will be taken from him,” Mr Kuzin said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/viral/a/30583 ... -his-head/

allde

Postby allde » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:39 am

Alison wrote:Seriously?? I feel sorry for the VicRoads staff who have to put up with this nonsense!

Which part makes you feel sorry, that part that others have to believe in their invisible beings or the part where Vicroads decides whose invisible beings are real and whose aren't? :D

freddie

Postby freddie » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:37 pm

Alison wrote:Seriously?? I feel sorry for the VicRoads staff who have to put up with this nonsense!

another infidel ! hopefully the flying spaghetti monster will go easy on you in the next life for your blasphemy

allde

Postby allde » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:28 am

freddie wrote:

another infidel ! hopefully the flying spaghetti monster will go easy on you in the next life for your blasphemy

R'amen freddie, may you be touched by his Noodly Appendage.

richard_m_h

Postby richard_m_h » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:40 am

allde wrote:
freddie wrote:

and no beer volcano for Alison

allde

Postby allde » Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:41 pm

richard_m_h wrote:
allde wrote:
freddie wrote:

and no beer volcano for Alison

R'amen Richard.

and no Strippers for Alison either.

richard_m_h

Postby richard_m_h » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:02 pm

Blessed are they who are persecuted In the name Of Spaghetti,
for theirs is the Pirate Ship of heaven.

BN2

Postby BN2 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:32 pm

I went into Vicroads the other day and some nut was arguing with them as to why he can't change the name on his licence to his "stage name".

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:25 am

So when you're making the affirmation in the witness box in court is it acceptable to do that without wearing the pasta strainer?

allde

Postby allde » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Hardy wrote:So when you're making the affirmation in the witness box in court is it acceptable to do that without wearing the pasta strainer?

Don't be silly Hardy of course it is, however if you would like to wear pirate apparel that would also be acceptable.

Return to “VicRoads”