responsibility of registration

Licences, Registration, RWC, ADR
The Wombat

responsibility of registration

Postby The Wombat » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:32 pm

Hi All, just looking for some clarification on Registration.

If I have registration in my name on a vehicle, but do not own that vehicle and the owner of the vehicle has an accident in it, where do I stand?

am I liable for anything?

Vic roads says that the person denoted on the registration form does not necessarily the own the vehicle.

This would be the situation for myself, Also do insurance companies need to know who's name the vehicle is in as it is the owner who insurers the vehicle and nominates the driver or drivers.

Hope that makes sense to y'all

Cheers
Wombat :)

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: responsibility of registration

Postby Hardy » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:40 pm

The registered operator of the vehicle has obligations and liabilities. e.g. is liable if the car is used on a road without being registered, liable for parking/tollway/camera/EPA fines. Other than that, it is difficult to pin anything else on the registered operator of the vehicle merely because they are the registered operator of the vehicle. If the vehicle is a commercial vehicle or heavy vehicle there are additional responsibilities for registered operators which are too complicated to go into here.

The Wombat

Postby The Wombat » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:59 am

Thanx Sean, In all those situations as long as the Drivers details are provided, the registed operator is ok.

Filled out a Quote online with a insurance company who ask if you are the owner of the Vehicle, stated yes. No where on the quote does it ask if you are the person listed as the registed operater.

Rang the insurance company to seek their view on the owner insuring the vehicle that has a different registed operater name, they stated that the persons name on the registration is the owner.

I advised them that in Victoria this is not necessarily the case. so as the owner of the vehicle as long as I advise my drivers on the policy what difference does it make who's name the car is registered in?

The bottom line here is, if I gift my Vehicle to my child ( who now becomes the owner ) and they insure the vehicle whilst leaving the registration in my name ( to save on Stamp duty, transfer & RWC ) what difference does that make to anyone as long as it is registered & insured.

Anyone see any holes in this??

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:07 pm

Many people don't understand that the registered operator might not be the owner. The legislation states very clearly that registration is not evidence of ownership. Evidence of ownership happens the same was as you prove you own the watch that is on your wrist - show a receipt or just swear on oath. As for insurance, you will have to read the terms of the policy to see whether or not the policy should be in the name of the registered operator or the actual owner. Normally it would be in the name of the registered operator even though they suffer no loss if he car is damaged or lost.

Return to “VicRoads”