Learners Test

Licences, Registration, RWC, ADR
allde

Learners Test

Postby allde » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:08 am

My son is learning the test for his Learners License, one of the questions relates to driving in the tunnel,

If your car makes weird noises from the engine bay: 1.Should you stop in the Emergency Lane?
2.Keep driving out of the Tunnel?
3.Turn your Headlights off?

I don't know about you guys, but if my car is making weird noises (what I think is Major), I'm stopping before any other damaged is caused .e.g. What if the front wheel of my car is coming off, or I've put a Con Rod through the engine casting.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Learners Test

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Which tunnel has an emergency lane?
If it has one, then why not stop in it as a break down, and just don't mention the weird noise.

allde

Postby allde » Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:59 pm

Hardy wrote:Which tunnel has an emergency lane?
If it has one, then why not stop in it as a break down, and just don't mention the weird noise.

I don't know Hardy, but this is taken from the Victorian Learners Test.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:09 pm

I agree with you allde - if my car was still running but sounding like the engine was eating the turbo like it were escargot, I'd sure as hell shut it down quick-smart.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 pm

Since this is a learner's permit test, isn't the correct answer "Do whatever the supervising full licence holder tells you to do"?

freddie

Postby freddie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:01 am

I would get in the left lane, put hazards on and try to get it out of the tunnel. A truck driver who stopped in the Burnley tunnel for a flat tyre led to a huge accident causing several deaths.

I would not ever stop in a tunnel unless actually broken down and unable to drive. Even if there was an emergency lane I would not stop in a tunnel unless I absolutely had to.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:52 am

This is what they recommend you do if you breakdown in a tunnel in Sydney.

Roads and Maritime website wrote:If your vehicle breaks down or you crash in a tunnel
If possible drive out of the tunnel. If not possible, pull over to a breakdown bay or the side of the lane.
Stay in your vehicle unless otherwise advised.
Switch on your hazard lights.
Wait for help to arrive
You will be monitored by cameras and assistance will be sent to tow your vehicle.If you need to call for help, it is preferred that you use the emergency phones as they will automatically identify your precise location within the tunnel. The tunnel control room will contact emergency services if necessary.
If you suspect your vehicle is malfunctioning do not enter the tunnel.
Last edited by busdriver on Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:09 am

Hardy wrote:Since this is a learner's permit test, isn't the correct answer "Do whatever the supervising full licence holder tells you to do"?

:lol:

Alison

Postby Alison » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:18 pm

Below is why you should try not to stop in a tunnel!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Blanc_Tunnel

Scroll down to 1999 fire. Sorry, this was the smallest article I could find.

allde

Postby allde » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:56 pm

Do Learner Drivers get demerit points the same as Fully licensed Drivers?

Also as the Supervisor of a Learner Driver, Am I liable also for Demerit Points/Fines?

Curious because they are bound to make mistakes................

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:35 am

The learner driver gets demerit points if they commit a points offence.

rustyone

Postby rustyone » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:39 am

freddie wrote:I would not ever stop in a tunnel unless actually broken down and unable to drive. Even if there was an emergency lane I would not stop in a tunnel unless I absolutely had to.

and then run like hell

allde

Postby allde » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:57 pm

I heard on the Radio this morning that some learner was doing burnouts with his parent in the car.

A couple of questions I have here.
1. The learner has been fined for hoon driving, I'm guessing lost some demerit points as well.
2. The learner also had the car impounded.
3. What charges can the Parent (Overseeing the Learner whilst driving) expect to receive?
4. Or does the Parent get off scott free?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:02 am

The only offence a supervising passenger can ever commit is drink driving/drug driving if they are over their legal limit (aside from all the usual passenger offences like not wearing a seatbelt or littering etc).

Chef

Postby Chef » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:13 pm

Isn't there a new TIN for "supervising driver permit learner to commit offence"

Bit out of the loop these days

allde

Postby allde » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:27 am

It seems the supervisor was his Mother, the Learner was DUI at the time of driving.
After their car was impounded, they ring the other brother to come and pick them up, he parks in a disabled parking spot with no permit, and to top it off he has no license.

Are you sure that the Mother can't be charged with anything else?

allde

Postby allde » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:28 am

Hardy wrote:The only offence a supervising passenger can ever commit is drink driving/drug driving if they are over their legal limit (aside from all the usual passenger offences like not wearing a seatbelt or littering etc).

My daughter just received some lessons from a driving school, the supervisor made her speed to match the traffic, it's a 60kph zone, the supervisor used her accelerator on the passenger side till she was doing 70-75kph, my daughter was using the brake on her side to slow down.

If she was pulled over by the constabulary for speeding can she nominate the instructor, and what if that instructor denies she was in control of the accelerator?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:00 pm

It is the registered operator of the vehicle that gets the infringement notice if it is a speed camera, which is the only type of offence that is capable of nomination. So if she is pulled over, she will have problems. Obviously she needs to go to a better driving school.

Return to “VicRoads”