Car spends time between multiple states, where to register?

Licences, Registration, RWC, ADR
kardia

Car spends time between multiple states, where to register?

Postby kardia » Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:19 pm

Hi,

Iv a car that spends time between multiple states. Whats the law as to which state to register / insure in?
More to the point, the car is modified, such that is registrable in say, ACT, but not VIC

Any help or assistance in the matter would be highly appreciated.

PS: I tried sending an email to "contact@trafficlaw.com.au" but it bounced :(

Boki

Re: Car spends time between multiple states, where to regist

Postby Boki » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:45 am

There is no law about rego having to be in a certain state - as long as you have a residential address in the respective state.

If you register it in ACT just make sure you have access to a mailbox where the renewal stickers will be sent every year.

kardia

Postby kardia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:40 am

Thanks for the reply Boki.
The car would be registered in NSW to my parents house and we both work on the car as a project. The car would be in his name.
My fear is that a Ferrari crashes into me and his lawyer trys to prove the car spends more time in VIC then NSW, ACT.

Also, will i get hassled by the local VIC / ACT police if the car is registered in NSW though present in other states. (i know this wouldn't even be an issue with a stock car, but mines heavily modified)

BN2

Postby BN2 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:12 pm

kardia wrote: mines heavily modified

that will draw more attention than the rego

kardia

Postby kardia » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:05 pm

Everything is engineered and legal to register in NSW / ACT... not VIC though where i live.
Its essentially stock looking from the outside so doesn't visually attract attention.

Boki

Postby Boki » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:59 pm

kardia wrote:My fear is that a Ferrari crashes into me and his lawyer trys to prove the car spends more time in VIC then NSW, ACT.

You fear without reason, my friend, no need to fear.

As BN2 says, your modified Car might attract some attention which may lead to unfortunate events.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am

If someone crashes into you they pay for your car whether it is registered or not.
Your place of residence is irrelevant for registration. What is required is that the car is usually garaged within the state that it is registered. So if I am resident in Vic but keep a car in Qld for when I go there for work or holidays, then the Qld car can be registered in Qld at the address where it is usually garaged, and I can nominate my Melbourne address as the address for sending notices, renewals etc.
So why don't you just register your car where ever you want?

Return to “VicRoads”