Victorians Drink driving in NSW

Offences committed outside Victoria
Site Admin
Posts: 8465
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 1970 10:00 am
Location: Melbourne Victoria

Victorians Drink driving in NSW

Postby Hardy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:30 pm

In 2015 NSW made new laws that require courts to order offenders to have interlocks installed when they are relicensed, and that if they don't get the interlock installed they are disqualified from driving for a period of 5 years.
If a driver receives a 6 month disqualification period by a NSW court, s.211 Road Transport Act requires that person then becomes a disqualified person for a period of 5 years from their court date unless they obtain an "interlock drivers licence" issued in NSW after the completion of their court ordered disqualification period. ... /s211.html

If the person is Victorian, VicRoads will disqualify that person in Victoria for 5 years. Vicroads refuses to reciprocate by allowing the person to obtain an interlock in Victoria on a Vic licence.

It seems the only solution for the driver at the end of the 6 months court ordered disqualification period is to apply to the RMS for a NSW licence and install the interlock in their vehicle in compliance with the NSW laws. I am not sure what the reaction will be at RMS when someone turns up to get a NSW licence without ever having held a NSW one before and unable to produce a Vic licence to swap, but they will most likely look up the Vic licence number and maybe see that VicRoads has recorded a 5 years disqualification against the person. It would be odd if the RMS then refused to issue a NSW licence on the basis that the person is disqualified in Victoria for 5 years! I will keep on eye on it and let you know what - if any - solution appears to this problem.

Posts: 488
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:09 pm

Re: Victorians Drink driving in NSW

Postby freddie » Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:17 pm

Except in NSW you need to go high range >.15, refuse or 2 DUIs within 5 years to get an interlock. Which are entirely sensible entry criteria imo.

Unlike here where you need half a glass of chardonnay on your thirty year perfect driving record to get one.

Return to “Interstate and foreign driving issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest