"P" / "L" Plates driving interstate.

Offences committed outside Victoria
allde

"P" / "L" Plates driving interstate.

Postby allde » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:08 pm

I was listening to 3AW earlier in the week, where they had a discussion on Licences, Laws and Regs when going across borders.
A Victorian girl on "P" plates was pulled over numerous times in NSW doing the speed limit, conflicting information was given to her by Vic roads and the NSW Police.
A NSW boy on "P" plates crossed into victoria to pick up two friends, the police pulled him up and fined him for having two passengers in his peer group in the car.

This leaves me with a lot of What ifs, eg. a 17 year old "P" plater from the ACT can drive in Victoria?

What overrules what, the Licence Conditions in the State issued or the Regulations / Laws for driving in the State that your in?

Or is it a complete Gray area that depends on the Police Officer that pulls you over.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: "P" / "L" Plates driving interstate.

Postby Hardy » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:02 pm

As I understand it.....
There are some laws in Victoria that must be complied with by a person on a probationary licence.
e.g must display P plates.

Then there are conditions that can be imposed on a licence, and each state can impose different conditions on a P licence.
A P plater from interstate needs to comply with conditions that their home state has imposed on their licence. If it is a condition of your NSW licence to wear glasses and use an interlock, then you need to wear glasses and use an interlock when driving in Victoria, else you have failed to comply with your licence conditions. If the law in NSW says P platers can only drive at 80kmh, you can ignore that law as soon as you leave NSW - because it is not a condition on your licence. Provided a P plater has a licence, they can use it in victoria if they comply with their home conditions and comply with local laws. VicRoads can not impose conditions on a foreign licence, so they can ignore any conditions that might otherwise apply to a local P plate driver.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:30 am

This what Roads and Maritime post on their website about interstate learner drivers in NSW.

Roads and Maritime wrote:Learner licence holders – interstate or overseas

If you hold a learner licence from another state or country, you can continue to learn to drive in NSW. You must always be supervised by the holder of an unrestricted Australian driver licence that is a class C or higher.

You must comply with the conditions that apply to learners in NSW, even if they don’t ordinarily apply in your home state or country. You must also comply with all relevant conditions that apply to the licence in your home state or country. See also information on speed limits.

It is your responsibility to be aware of the conditions that apply to your licence.

Failure to comply with any of these conditions is an offence, and can carry severe penalties, including immediate suspension of your driving privileges by Police.

http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence ... g-nsw.html

I can remember many moons ago, when I was on my P's I regularly use to come over to Victoria and drive around and I was only 16 at the time, which was the legal age that you hold a Probationary Licence in South Australia, as in Victoria it was 18 at the time, it just show how stupid the laws are between states, where a younger driver from another state can drive around in state, where they wouldn't be at age where they legally hold a licence.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:03 am

This was discussed in some detail on this thread: http://www.trafficlaw.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=2279&start=18 I did some research on it as I have a younger brother who was living in southern NSW when he was learning to drive and first got his licence.

Busdriver - That information from RMS is disappointing as I believe it is incorrect. From one of my posts in the thread linked above:

Gravy wrote:In fact, have a look at NSW Road Rules 2008, rule 24-1, found here:
http://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au/maintop/view/inforce/subordleg+179+2008+cd+0+N
This rule states that, "The speed limit applying for any length of road to a driver who is the holder of a learner licence issued in New South Wales is 90 kilometres per hour, unless another lesser speed limit applies to the driver for the length of road under another rule of this Part." (My emphasis.)

After chasing up RMS for providing false information on their website, they responded by email:
Email from RMS wrote:Dear Mr Gravy

Thank you for bringing to our attention the Roads and Maritime Services, Interstate learner's visiting NSW web page and the new learner speed limit.

The new NSW 90 km/h learner speed limit applies to NSW learners only.

After investigating your inquiry, I requested the web page be updated with the details below.
I apologise for any confusion between the web page information and legislation.

Regards

RMS guy

It looks like I'll need to chase them up again.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Fri Apr 17, 2015 11:30 am

How confusing is this rubbish...

On this web page http://www.rms.nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/visiting-nsw.html, immediately under busdriver's quote, it says:
RMS website wrote:Speed limits

An interstate or overseas learner, when driving in NSW, must not drive/ride faster than the posted speed limit or any lesser maximum speed limit if one is applied to your licence by your home state or country.

I've emailed them and attached the previous emails. Hopefully they'll update their site to reflect the road rules.

Idiots.

allde

Postby allde » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:55 am

I was wondering did South Australia ever introduce that time curfew for first year "P" Platers?
The one that starts at midnight and runs to 5 am.

Perhaps it's something we should think about here in Victoria....

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 pm

allde wrote:I was wondering did South Australia ever introduce that time curfew for first year "P" Platers?
The one that starts at midnight and runs to 5 am.

Perhaps it's something we should think about here in Victoria....

Yes SA did introduce a curfew for P1 licence holders that are under 25 years old it runs from Midnight to 5am. It was introduced a couple years ago. I'm not sure if applies to interstate provisional licensed drivers that are driving in SA.

I''m not fan of states having the different laws for Learner and Provisional licences holders, it just confuses everyone. I remember when I had my Provisional licence I was allowed to travel at 100km/h in my home state SA. 90km/h in NSW and 110km/h in Queensland.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:00 am

How stupid is a night time curfew for P1 licence holders!
What we need is a 10PM to 7AM curfew for all 16 year olds that are driving around on drugs in stolen cars. That would surely solve the problem. :roll:

felixm1212

Postby felixm1212 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:03 pm

So what if for example Me, someone on their L's, 17 in Vic. If i have family in NSW can I go over to there and get my P's and then drive come back home and drive?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:19 pm

If you have a licence that authorises you to drive in NSW then you can drive on that licence in any state. You may have to comply with conditions imposed in each state. For example, the drink driving limit for a P plater might vary from state to state. You need to comply with the limit in the state you are driving, not the state that issued your licence. If there are conditions printed on your licence, you need to comply with those no matter where you are driving.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:25 pm

Technically, no, because you do not live in NSW. You probably could physically do it if you lied to RMS about where you live, which is most likely an offence.

For the avoidance of any doubt, you should not commit an offence. :mrgreen:

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:00 pm

Gravy is correct if the licence is obtained fraudulently. Obviously you can't get a NSW licence unless you are living in NSW.

Return to “Interstate and foreign driving issues”