Disqualified by VicRoads for 100 years!!!!

Offences committed outside Victoria
Unsureinnsw

Disqualified by VicRoads for 100 years!!!!

Postby Unsureinnsw » Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:54 am

So, this is different.
I was disqualified for drink driving in Victoria on my NSW licence for 20 months last year.
NSW matched the disqualification and it's due to expire next Monday the 9th December.
The whole while, NSW has told me there is nothing I need to do and once the disqualification ends I'll be reissued with a full NSW licence.
The only requirement was I complete a NSW driver knowledge test which I completed yesterday, while in the service centre I was informed VicRoads have blocked my licence for 100 years!!!! And I won't be able to have a licence reissued until VicRoads remove that block.
Now, VicRoads can't give me any help or info, nor can service NSW. They just keep passing me back and forth between each other.

I can not satisfy Victoria's requirements as I don't live there!
Also, as of 1st December their laws are changing.
At the moment I need to go to court in Victoria to ask for my licence back, but as of the 1st VicRoads will handle it all.

So I'm wondering if that block will be removed as I'll no longer need to go to court?

I wasn't issued an interlock order by the courts, which is what NSW require so I don't think I need one in NSW.

However it looks like I'll be disqualified indefinitely until VicRoads are happy.

What the hell do I do?!

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Disqualified by VicRoads for 100 years!!!!

Postby Hardy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:07 pm

You are not entitled to be relicensed in NSW until you are eligible to be relicensed in Victoria. You can't be relicensed in Victoria until a Victorian Magistrates Court grants you permission to apply for a licence (read the court order that was made when you were disqualified from driving for 20 months).
So you need to attend at a Magistrates Court in Victoria and file an application for a licence restoration order (or whatever they are called today). You then need to complete a drink driving education course, get assessed by victoria police by attending an interview, and then attending court at least 4 weeks after you filed your application. If you think not living in Victoria prevents you from completing these steps then you will never obtain another licence, even after 100 years. The best way to avoid all of this hassle is to avoid drink driving in Victoria, or if you are charged with drink driving then see a good defence lawyer and win your case.

Hope that helps.

Unsureinnsw

Postby Unsureinnsw » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:23 am

Yeah thanks, that doesn't help at all.
As I said in my post, the laws are changing today in Victoria and no one is required to go to court anymore. It is all handled by VicRoads now. LEO don't exist anymore.
Thanks, I'll look into it myself.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Even after your disqualification period ends, Vicroads records you as not permitted to apply for a license (i.e. you're disqualified) until you complete the eligibility steps for relicensing. It doesn't really make any difference whether you need to apply to a court or apply to vicroads to be permitted to regain a licence, you still need to complete the required steps before vicroads will consider you eligible to apply for a license. You may find that the change in law applies only to offences committed since the change. A careful reading of the transitional provisions is required. A similar situation exists for victorians who are disqualified for drink driving in NSW. They might find they can not get a vic license until they complete the relicensing steps in NSW.

Return to “Interstate and foreign driving issues”