Care Park, ANCP, Parking Patrols, Ace. Private parking fines

TrustNo1

Re: Care Park, ANCP, Parking Patrols, Ace. Private parking f

Postby TrustNo1 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:30 am

Is the legislation to stop companies getting your details from the court currently in effect? I just received a demand of payment from TMS. Not going to pay of course. Are there other ways they could have got my info?

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Care Park, ANCP, Parking Patrols, Ace. Private parking f

Postby Hardy » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:05 am

Assented to on 25/8/15
http://www.legislation.vic.gov.au

See section 90R of the Road Safety Act for the prohibition on them getting preliminary discovery of your details through the courts:
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic ... /s90r.html

And see Part 7B of the Act for the other sections dealing with this issue:
http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/vic ... .html#s90r

They may have been granted discovery prior to 25/8/15.

jjmwa

Re: Care Park, ANCP, Parking Patrols, Ace. Private parking fines

Postby jjmwa » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi
This was the only site I could find and I hope someone could offer some advice. Note this post is about fines in Perth, WA, similar to the ones discussed previously in this forum.
I was issued a "fine" after visiting the market at the Freemantle docks, Perth, for not purchasing a parking ticket. I was very confused initially as there is no signage anywhere in this parking area stating that tickets are required. (The surrounding car parks at the docks managed by them all have clear signage related to the payment of parking). I later learned that apparently there is a sign at the entrance stating something about a parking contract, which I had missed, as it next to a section of road where you cannot stop to read it.
I would have been happy to pay the $3-$4 for the hour, but not the $65 "fine" in a situation that I feel is designed to trap motorists.
I understand that should this be seen as a valid contract, they can only lay claim to liquidated damages, which is $4 in this case.
I believe in WA private companies are also allowed to clamp wheels, which is a problem, as I am then under constant threat of having my wheels clamped in most private parking areas in the city.
They are thus interfering with my ability and freedom to do business with other companies as I now cannot park the majority of car parks because of this clamping threat.
Please advise how I should go about resolving this issue without paying the "fine". Note that I will be happy to pay the cost of the original ticket.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Mar 29, 2016 11:19 pm

I guess the advice on the first page of this thread applies exactly to your situation.
i.e. ignore them and they will eventually go away, or pay them if you don't like them sending you stuff.
if you don't want your car clamped then don't park in their car parks without paying their parking fee.

Day

Postby Day » Fri May 06, 2016 9:16 pm

Seems all that is needed to deal with a private parking fine is a sense of humour and a stick figure picture?!

http://www.news.com.au/finance/money/co ... fea3ba3e86

MurrayW

Postby MurrayW » Mon May 16, 2016 4:54 pm

This email has been circulated around to Costco members about their store at Docklands.

Notification of changes to Costco Docklands parking
Dear Valued Member,
Care Park will manage Costco Docklands Car Park from 9 May, 2016.
In order to increase parking availability and provide convenient exclusive parking for Costco members, the following changes will be made to the parking system effective as of 9 May 2016:
How to Access the Costco Member Only Car Park
Step 1. Costco members must scan their membership card barcode at the entry station to enter
Step 2. Park and Shop in the Costco store. A two (2) hour free parking time limit applies
Step 3. Costco members must scan their membership card barcode at the exit station to exit
Parking will be limited to 2 hours maximum stay per day and there will be no charge for this period.
If you park for longer than 2 hours a parking fee of $75.00 per day will be payable upon exit.
Tyre Centre and Disabled Parking exceptions are available by prior request. Please contact docklands@costco.com.au for details on exceptions.
In order to ensure minimum disruption to our members, we will be providing member service employees at the boom gates to assist you during this transition.
Please note that alternative paid parking is available at the Harbourtown East and West car parks.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Why the change?
• To increase parking availability for Costco members
• To allow exclusive car park access for Costco members only using their active membership card
• To discourage non-member parking
Why Care Park?
• Care Park is one of Australia’s leading parking management groups, operating in excess of 350 car parks and is the predominant parking services provider in the Docklands precinct
How long can I park without a charge?
• There is a 2 hour free maximum parking limit per day
What happens if I park for longer than 2 hours?
• If you park for longer than 2 hours you will incur a daily parking fee of $75 which is payable via credit card upon exit.
How do I dispute a Breach Notice fee?
• For your convenience, Care Park provides multiple channels through which its customers may submit an application for review. Care Park also provides a standardised application for review form for customers wishing to have parking fees reviewed. For more information please visit Care Park’s web site: http://www.carepark.com.au/…/obj…/how-to-lodge-an-objection/
Can the warehouse management override the fee?
• Costco does not collect fees so it cannot override or reimburse any fees paid
How do I get into and out of the car park if I want to sign up for membership or if I’ve lost
my card?
• New members will be let in by Care Park by pressing the intercom button at the entry station. Upon sign up, new members will be given an exit pass by the membership staff to allow one (1) free exit
• Lost cards will be replaced at the membership counter and an exit pass will be given for one (1) free exit

Costco

What I can determine here is that Costco is using barriers for customers to both enter and exit the carpark. Care Park are not issuing notices either but if a customer is over the 2 hours, customers are slugged $75 in order to leave through the boom gates.

I've seen a bit of humorous advice on dealing with this ... "just leave the car parked at the boom gate, take all the crap back into the store for a refund, cancel the membership, then pay the $75 with the refund money!!!".

I'm thinking Costco is treating its customers as suckers ... The strange bizarre point about this whole situation is that their business model is based on customers exploring every aisle in the mega store to see what's new, if you do that and perhaps stop for a hot dog, coffee etc after you get through the checkouts, you're likely pushing over the 2 hours.

Lastly, parking at Harbour Town (not far away at all) is $7.00 for up to 4hrs parking. Why the disparity ??? Please explain Costco!!! This looks like a penalty dressed up as a parking fee.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Tue May 17, 2016 11:28 am

In terms of morals, it's a bit easier to stomach this kind of thing when they are operating boom gates. It resembles an 'agreement' much more than their previous highly dodgy practices. The amount is outrageous of course, but it would be much easier for them to argue informed patronage that at unmanned, unrestricted entry car parks.

From a business perspective, it seems like a thoroughly dumb idea, however. Please forgive the sweeping generalisations, but I don't think I'm out of line in stating that the average Costco customer isn't exactly flush with disposable income. Surely a single instance of a brief overstay would result in that customer never returning out of both spite and fear of accidental repetition.

They'll likely achieve their stated aim of maintaining parking exclusively for members, though I think they would lose more revenue by alienating members who fall foul of these parking rules than they will gain by excluding non-patrons.

whiteb

Postby whiteb » Sat May 21, 2016 6:16 pm

Costco use the Ipark system (Last I knew), and the system can use contactless proxy cards, or barcode, they just enter membership numbers in to the system and issue the barcodes, unless Carepark updated their whole system for them.

index

Postby index » Sat May 28, 2016 6:29 pm

I receieved an expiatation notice at the University of Adelaide. Parking is controlled by a company called Tenix solutions. Fine went over due date, now they want 80$ (40$ was original). I called and asked them to waive overdue fine, they obviously said no. I usually wouldnt pay anyway, but thing is there is a sign at the entrance saying penalities apply if permit not displayed etc etc etc.I think it would be risky not paying this one, since the company itself is tied to the university. Any suggestions?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun May 29, 2016 8:27 pm

Any suggestions?
Pay it or leave the country.

Kofi123

Postby Kofi123 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:10 pm

"Pay it or leave the country"

Also, name change for safety, try something common like John Smith just to be safe.

jazzah16

Postby jazzah16 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 7:51 pm

thanks hardy for the very helpful info on this thread.

you've inspired me to ignore a payment notice that was left on my car in an ANCP car park this week. i just want to check that the particulars of the car park in my case don't affect the applicability of the advice you've given on the first page.

the car park has four entrances. at each one there is a large red sign (2-3m tall x 1-2m wide) with words to the effect that by parking in the car park vehicle drivers enter into a contract with ANCP and that failure to display a valid ticket makes them liable to breach penalties. the first two hours parking are free of charge. there are no boom gates or other barriers at any of the car park entrances.

i parked and honestly forgot to get a ticket. on returning to the car an hour or so later, there was a "payment notice and tax invoice" on the windscreen. it lists a breach of condition (not displaying valid ticket) and a penalty of $88.00 . the back of the ticket says "you are required to pay ANCP liquidated damages of $88", reduced to $66 if paid within 14 days, failing which ANCP will commence legal proceedings.

i'm happy to ignore the ticket and all follow up correspondence. as a gesture of goodwill, i'm even prepared to offer them the cost of 2 hours parking if they take me to court.

do you think your advice on p1 of this thread applies to my situation? and are you still offering free representation at court if they take it that far?

cheers,

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:41 am

Huh??? So it was an ANCP ticket? Read the thread - all of it.

freddie

Postby freddie » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:29 am

jazzah16 wrote:i'm happy to ignore the ticket and all follow up correspondence. as a gesture of goodwill, i'm even prepared to offer them the cost of 2 hours parking if they take me to court.

how are they possibly going to take you to court? did you have your name and address displayed in the car's windscreen or something?

Greco7

Postby Greco7 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:01 am

Got a fine from these pricks today, overstayed my welcome in the 90 minute free parking zone.

I too plan on going silent and not responding to their payment notice, but want to know if I am eligible for free representation in court should they manage to drag this out and take me to court for ignoring their payment demands lol.

Thanks in advance

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:20 pm

I have always said that someone who does not respond to them at all can get representation at court on a no-win-no-fee basis if they ever take you to court. Not sure how they are going to take you to court when it is now impossible for them to request from VicRoads the name and address of the registered operator of the vehicle.

Greco7

Postby Greco7 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:56 am

Well the thing is they fined me once previously this year for something so stupid that I simply wrote them a letter inviting them to take me to court and fight me over such a pointless fine ( don't want to give details away incase they are reading).

So based on my letter, they will already have my rego and address from the previous fine (which they responded and waived the fine because they acknowledged their mistake).

So unfortunately even though it's my first offense, they have my details on file lol so I am expecting letters from them and court threats.

Has anyone on here whos taken your advice ever been taken to court?

I live in Melb btw.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:57 am

Theyy have taken several people to court. Both those who have followed my advice and those who didn't. that was about 2 years ago. No point asking me how it went because each case was unique. some poeple told me they had not communicated anything to the plaintiff yet it soon became clear that they had, So no point pretending you have had no communications when they are producing them in court. In your case they have no idea who drove the car on the day in question and have no idea who the registered operator of the car was on that date.

Johnny2

Postby Johnny2 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:19 pm

There are a couple of other ways (other than retaining old names and addresses) they are still obtaining the details of Victorian residents (albeit at a much reduced rate):

1. If you were driving, in Victoria, a car that is registered in WA, SA, Qld, or Tas (for example, driving a visitng friend's car).
2. If you live in an apartment complex where the parking is managed by one of these companies. In these cases, they already have your address, so they just need your name. They get your name off your letter box or by asking another resident for your name. The car park companies are progressively moving into this market. For example if you, as a resident of the complex, were parked in someone else's spot or a visitor's spot (perhaps your apartment didn't come with an allocated parking place, or perhaps you have two cars and only one allocated spot).

Greco7

Postby Greco7 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:48 pm

No,

As i have wrote a letter to them in the past they now have my details.

Should I just send a letter objecting the fine and offer them to pay the $3 extra for another hour? lol

Return to “Parking and Parking Fines”