Question re fault

& other vehicles including Pedalecs, Carts & Horses.
Alison

Question re fault

Postby Alison » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:37 pm

I have a question and I thought I already knew the answer - however now I've been told that I'm in the wrong so I thought I'd mention it on here to see what everyone else thinks.

The scenario involves a bike rider and an intersection that has four lanes; one to turn left, one to either turn left or proceed straight ahead, one solely going straight ahead and one turning right.

The issue here is that the bike rider was in the far left turning lane however he proceeded straight ahead. Can someone please tell me if a bike rider should always be in the far left of the road - no matter if it's a turning lane or not? I wouldn't thought that he should've been in the second lane, the one that gave the option of going straight ahead or turning.

Thanks!

Boki

Re: Question re fault

Postby Boki » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:10 pm

Alison wrote: however now I've been told that I'm in the wrong so I thought I'd mention it on here to see what everyone else thinks.

Who told you that you're wrong?

Alison wrote:Can someone please tell me if a bike rider should always be in the far left of the road - no matter if it's a turning lane or not?

Bicycles need to follow the road rules the same way cars do. They may not proceed straight ahead from a lane that is intended only for a left turn.

Alison

Postby Alison » Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Boki!

I was told that bike riders needed to stay at the left of the road no matter what, even if this means that they're in a turning lane yet going straight ahead. I nearly collected him as I turned the corner because I thought he was turning (no signals obviously, but I assumed that being in the turning lane meant he was turning). After I turned I looked back and saw he was going straight ahead. Someone was tooting but I don't know if they were telling me off or the rider (who was also holding his helmet in his hand). Once I made it into work I discussed it with others but most of them said I was in the wrong so I thought I'd check on here if this is the case.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:59 pm

The bike rider should not go straight ahead in the left turn lane. But unless you are going to issue the rider with an infringement notice it doesn't really matter too much whether the rider is right or wrong about that. Ideally the rider should have merged into the centre lane, but then drivers would be tooting at him/her for doing nothing illegal whatsoever.

If there is a cyclist on the road you should not be doing a left turn when you are in his/her lane. If the rider chooses to go straight ahead and has a collision because he/she cuts off other vehicles without giving way then the rider will be liable just the same as if he/she were riding a motorbike or driving a car.

Return to “Bicycles”