Reversing out driveway across opposite side of road

FarSur81

Reversing out driveway across opposite side of road

Postby FarSur81 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:21 am

Hi,
I used to see this sometimes, now it's like every driver does it, and as far as I can tell, it is only applicable to reversing due to the many blind spots. At least this was what was taught to me, many years ago when I did my license.

If the road is wide enough, you are (were) required to reverse out facing the direction of travel closet to your side of the road, and if you wanted to travel the other direction, you are then required to do a U-turn or 3 point turn. The only exception was if you lived in some "narrowass" street where two bicycles couldn't pass, so to speak.
Lately I have seen vehicles reversing out, some at speed, some almost wiping out parked cars, some barely making it half way, and end up driving on the wrong side of the road. Most of these are on wide roads. One popular road is wide enough a Semi could do a 3-point turn.

Q1. What are the rules/laws around reversing out of a driveway?
Q2. Has there been a change in the road rules, law? If so, which section(s) please

Further, just for light reading
If your driving forward/frontwards out of a driveway, the same road rules apply as if your driving into and out of an unmarked intersection. You must give way not only to traffic on the footpath, but the road itself.
Q3. Is this correct?

Thanks
Stay Safe on the 2019 Christmas Roads.
Faroukh

Gravy

Re: Reversing out driveway across opposite side of road

Postby Gravy » Tue Feb 18, 2020 9:50 am

There's a rule about reversing which, in its entirety, is:
296 Driving a vehicle in reverse
(1) The driver of a vehicle must not reverse the vehicle unless the driver can do so safely.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.
(2) The driver of a vehicle must not reverse the vehicle further than is reasonable in the circumstances.
Penalty: 3 penalty units.

I imagine it's possible to be charged under this rule for what you describe however, whether or not it happens is another question. When I was working in traffic engineering and people would complain about this issue, I would advise them to reverse into the driveway as it's just safer all round. Few people actually do that, apparently because they're afraid of being hit while reversing in (and reversing out is somehow better... :roll: ).

Rule 74 deals with entering a road from a road related area or adjacent land, the latter specifically including a driveway. There's no mention of reversing anywhere in that rule.
FarSur81 wrote:If your driving forward/frontwards out of a driveway, the same road rules apply as if your driving into and out of an unmarked intersection. You must give way not only to traffic on the footpath, but the road itself.
I suggest reading the rule as it's not identical to the controls that apply to an unmarked intersection, though similar. In short, yes, you must give way to vehicles on the road and pretty much any pedestrian (i.e. not just on a footpath).

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Reversing out driveway across opposite side of road

Postby Hardy » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:25 am

There are no rules that refer to reversing out of a driveway.
There is rule 74 which requires you to give way when entering a road. And there are reversing rules that apply anywhere.

Return to “Everything else....”