Roadworks speeds

allde

Roadworks speeds

Postby allde » Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:05 pm

The other day I was driving thru a roadworks area, the speed limit posted was 60kph and yet there was a roadworks truck with it's yellow safety lights flashing away.

Now because there is a truck with it's yellow safety lights flashing, does this Trump the 60kph posted speed limit and therefore it is now 40kph?

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Roadworks speeds

Postby Hardy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:54 pm

The yellow flashing lights are meaningless.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:39 am

Think of yellow lights on construction sites (called 'rotator beacons' in the industry though newer LED types don't actually rotate) as a fluro hi-vis vest for a vehicle. And as with hi-vis vests, it makes the user invincible* such that they may ignore all other OHS requirements and practices, and immune from prosecution by OHS regulatory bodies.

The reduced speed limit of 40km/h past a stationary vehicle with flashing lights only applies when the lights are red and blue.

*obviously, the user would also need steel cap boots for invincibility to work. I mean, duh...

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:46 pm

Yeah, they often mean "Keep watching - I'm about to do something pretty stupid".

LEO

Postby LEO » Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:54 pm

Sorry Hardy, they are not meaningless, close too but there is actual meanings to the different colour lights, not that most people would know this.

An amber or yellow flashing light warns road users of an obstruction to the free flow of traffic.

Blue and red flashing lights is intended to advise other road users that the vehicle displaying them is responding to an emergency situation.

A magenta flashing light warns road users of the presence of an transport enforcement vehicle

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:52 pm

There are special rules that cover red, blue and magenta flashing lights.
The rules about flashing yellow lights on vehicles apply to oversize vehicles. Other vehicles are not supposed to be driving on the road with flashing yellow lights operating. I'm pretty sure it is an offence, but not sure where that provision lives these days.

allde

Postby allde » Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:50 am

There isn't any loss of demerit points is there, only a fine when exceeding the 40kph?

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:35 am

It seems like that's correct, allde; I can't find RR 79A mentioned anywhere in Schedule 3 to the driver's regs. Which is a little surprising.

Return to “Everything else....”