Seat Belts

allde

Seat Belts

Postby allde » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:02 am

Just wondering if someone can explain to me the logic on seat belts.
Sure modern vehicles have them installed, needless to say they have saved countless lives, yet public buses don't have them, why aren't they compulsory?

LEO

Re: Seat Belts

Postby LEO » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:56 pm

Basically cost vs benefit.

Cost to retrofit them to existing buses.

Cost to supply more buses if they fitted them to route service buses as they would need to remove standing capacity, thus require more buses to meet demand.

If you did a cost benefit analysis for seat belts for all buses (and providing the service) vs number of serious injuries/deaths in buses because people were injured/killed weren't wearing them it not logically justified.

The average fatalities involving buses each year is 4 persons for all causes/incidents, passengers is about 1.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:44 am

And who would actually wear a seat belt on a public bus, my guess is not many.

It would very difficult enforce as well, as us driver really don't care about much these days, we don't even care if passengers don't pay these days.

allde

Postby allde » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:21 am

Ok, thanks for your replies guys, makes sense, money over safety and a non paying customers feelings over profits.

Lol, now you have me even more confused,

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:07 pm

passengers is about 1.

Was that a stabbing?

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:21 pm

allde wrote:Ok, thanks for your replies guys, makes sense, money over safety and a non paying customers feelings over profits.

Lol, now you have me even more confused,

The companies don't care if passengers don't pay, they don't lose the revenue , the government does.

To answer your question Hardy, that is likely. There been number of stabbing I've about heard about since i've been a bus driver which is coming on 15 years now.

More drivers get assault by passengers each year, than passengers being injured as a result buses having traffic accidents.

Return to “Everything else....”