Unlicenced driver

bw16222843

Unlicenced driver

Postby bw16222843 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:58 am

Dear Sean

My friend who has a full licence, registered and comprehensively insured car was sitting in the back with a male. That male got in the front seat of the vehicle to 'get his drink bottle' and then asked to move the car. She said no. He did so and either intentionally or by accident speed up and collided with another car. Her vehicle has major cosmetic damage, and the other vehicle was written off. Fortunately, no physical injuries occurred to anyone.

After the fact, it turns out he is unlicensed and only 17. She filed a Police report stating this and has a copy.

May I ask what are the odds of the insurance company covering this incident? Do you think it is more likely they will deny the claim and she will be forced to sue the driver herself?

All of this is dependent on the Police identifying the driver. All she had was his first name and the address of 'his brother'. I shook my head too.

Thanks

B

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Unlicenced driver

Postby Hardy » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:45 pm

Filing a police report might make it harder for her to succeed on an insurance claim, unless she has lodged a complaint with the police that the vehicle was driven without consent of the owner - i.e. stolen. I assume the car had keyless ignition?
She doesn't know the drivers name yet knows his age and licence status. That's weird.
She has no option other than to make the claim on her policy and see how it goes. It will be a hard call whether to tell the insurers the car was stolen or leave that bit for later in case it is needed.

bw16222843

Re: Unlicenced driver

Postby bw16222843 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:52 pm

Thank you Sean.

She filed a report about him driving it without her consent. It was indeed keyless ignition. My friend and her dad went to the police and alleged it was theft, they said it wasn't 'theft' but some other crime that they would try to locate him for and charge him with.

It was some random person she met on a dating app, and she knew only enough to collect him for some time together...

Return to “Everything else....”