Sunglasses whilst driving

Gravy

Sunglasses whilst driving

Postby Gravy » Wed May 23, 2018 12:52 pm

I was in a major optometry/prescription glasses retailer recently for a checkup, new script, and new glasses. The sales assistant (specifically not the optometrist) was discussing the optional extra$ with me when placing the order for regular glasses and prescription sunglasses. I commented that the tint in my current sunnies from this retailer was fairly light and sales assistant offers a darker tint option with the caveat that "it is illegal to use these sunglasses while driving". I ordered the darker tint anyway, but it did get me thinking...

Is it the case that it is an offence to drive while wearing sunglasses of a certain tint? If so, by what act? I'm wondering if this is one of those Australian Standards furphys, i.e. it doesn't comply with AS and is therefore illegal, despite the vast majority of Australian Standards amounting to nothing more than a suggestion with no legislative backing.

allde

Re: Sunglasses whilst driving

Postby allde » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:59 am

The mandatory standard is based on certain sections of the voluntary Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1067.1:2016 Eye and face protection - sunglasses and fashion spectacles.

Under classifications

" Lens category 4: Sunglasses - These are special purpose sunglasses that provide a very high level of sun glare reduction and good UV protection. Lens category 4 sunglasses must not be used when driving at any time."

allde

Postby allde » Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:09 am

Sorry for the late reply Gravy, I just noticed this one.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 7:25 pm

To find out if the glasses are prohibited for drivers you need to find a law that prohibits their use, not an Australian Standard that prohibits their use.

allde

Postby allde » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:26 pm

Ok thx Hardy, hey does the same apply to tinted lenses on motorcycle helmets, sure the standard says so.

I have no idea on where they get the law for this one too.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:32 pm

Motor cycles helmets are required by law to comply with AS/NZS 1698:2006

Code: Select all

ROAD RULES 2014 - REG 270
Wearing motor bike helmets
270 Wearing motor bike helmets

(3) In this rule--

"approved motor bike helmet" means a protective helmet for motor bike riders of a type that complies with any one or more of the following standards and has an identifying mark certifying compliance with that standard--
(a) Australian/New Zealand Standard AS/NZS 1698:2006, Protective helmets for vehicle users ("AS/NZS 1698"),
(b) in the case of a helmet manufactured in Australia--the version of AS/NZS 1698 or Australian Standard AS 1698--1988, Protective helmets for vehicle users ("AS 1698--1988") that was in force at the time the helmet was manufactured, or any later version of AS/NZS 1698 or AS 1698--1988,
(c) in the case of a helmet imported into Australia--the version of AS/NZS 1698 or AS 1698--1988 that was in force at the time the helmet was imported, or any later version of AS/NZS 1698 or AS 1698--1988,
(d) United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation No 22 Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Protective Helmets and their Visors for Drivers and Passengers of Motor Cycles and Mopeds Revision 4 of 24 September 2002 ("UNECE22.05") and any further amendments to UNECE22.05 approved and published by the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe, or any later version of UNECE22.05 .

http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw ... /s270.html

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Jul 27, 2020 2:03 pm

allde wrote:Sorry for the late reply Gravy, I just noticed this one.
Not at all - thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware of that standard and it does answer my question. Most people in any industry consider Australian Standards to be equivalent to legislation, which is infuriating.

allde wrote:does the same apply to tinted lenses on motorcycle helmets, sure the standard says so.
The tinted visor issue got a good workout a while ago. I think the short answer is yes, theoretically the same does apply, but it hadn't (at that stage - maybe it's different now?) been properly tested.

Return to “Everything else....”