Children's Car Seats

pcarr1979

Children's Car Seats

Postby pcarr1979 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:12 am

Hello all.

This is not a problem (yet) - just a preemptive enquiry about the law as it pertains to children's car seats. my understanding of the current legal arrangement (in Victoria) is that the need (or otherwise) to use a car seat is determined exclusively by the chid''s age - i.e. not their height/mass, etc. Is this correct?

To put it another way, our daughter is due to turn seven (7) in January. On her birthday, can we for all intents and purposes discard of her current car seat and have her utilise the fixed seat in the car in the same way as any adult (albeit in the back of the vehicle), or is there/are there any other determining factor/s? Is a booster seat required, or purely optional?

Thanks all.

allde

Re: Children's Car Seats

Postby allde » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:20 pm

Check out the Vic Roads Web Site.

Children aged over 7 years must use either:

a booster seat, or
an adult seat belt.
Children grow at different rates and there can be big differences in their heights and weights. Therefore you can choose the type of restraint that is best for your child's size.

An adult lap-sash seat belt is designed for people with a minimum height of 145 cm. The average child will reach this height between 10 to 12 years of age.

Children who are not tall enough to use an adult seat belt can slump into their seat. The lap part of the seat belt is then too high on their stomach which causes more serious injuries in a crash.

Therefore, it is recommended that your child continues using a booster seat until they have outgrown it. There are some booster seats available for children up to the age of 10 years.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... restraints

pcarr1979

Postby pcarr1979 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:30 pm

Thank you I appreciate that booster seats etc are recommended until a child reaches 1.45. Is it however a strict legal requirement? Will I receive an infringement in the absence of a booster seat?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:18 pm

A 7 year old is treated by law exactly the same as an adult passenger. That means you can chose where to sit them and whether or not to use a booster seat.

allde

Postby allde » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:05 pm

If your concerned with using the right seat or their age still, grab a Taxi, apparently they are exempt.

I know it's pretty crazy hey?

In taxis:

children aged under 1 year must travel in the back seat, but do not have to use a child restraint
children aged 1 year and over must be in their own seat, with their own properly fastened seat belt if there is no child restraint or booster seat available
In Victoria, taxis do not have to provide child restraints or booster seats for customers. However, they must have at least one anchorage point if passengers want to bring their own child restraint.

If possible it is recommended that you take your child’s restraint or booster seat with you.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... restraints

Return to “Everything else....”