Giving Way at Roundabouts

Salman

Giving Way at Roundabouts

Postby Salman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:31 pm

OK here is a question. I see a variety of behaviour at roundabouts from people being extremely timid and waiting endlessly even though they have plenty of time to proceed without causing any issues to people who almost cause collisions with their aggressive behaviour. The former are the most common and cause most of the issues with congestion around roundabouts. Personally my method is to carefully assess the speed and attitude of any approaching vehicle and if there is no risk of a collision I proceed through the roundabout. In some cases the car to my right is stationary and has not yet taken off and in other cases it is on a path to turn in front of me but because of its speed I have plenty of time. I have never even come close to causing a collision or making the other car brake, change direction or take any other evasive action. I am simply very alert and then very quick to get going. I always instinctively look back at and the car usually is at the spot where our two paths crossed when I am already many car lengths outside the roundabout.

Now some nervous nellies would consider that I am driving aggressively because I sneak through where many would not but there is no way that I am aggressive. I am very courteous to other road users and always take a safe and cautious approach. I care about the law and do not have any demerit points nor have had any accidents ever (touch wood). I just judge and calculate and act very very quickly.

So my question is what would a police officer make of my driving. Am I meeting the legal definition of giving way.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Giving Way at Roundabouts

Postby Hardy » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:01 pm

If the car to your right has not yet entered the roundabout then that driver must give way to you if you enter the roundabout first.
But assuming you enter the roundabout second, you are obliged to give way to all other vehicles already on the roundabout - whether they are on your left or your right - which means not to cause them to have to brake to avoid a collision or not to collide with them.

Salman

Postby Salman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 8:08 pm

That applies to cars on the right of me that are stationery. However cars that are approaching from the opposite direction seeking to turn in front of me are technically already in the roundabout. However if they are far enough away that there is no danger of collision I still move through. There is one more point and that is the fact that according to legal definition the roundabout starts where the triangular lines or triangular concrete blocks are positioned.

The problem I find with most roundabouts is that some people look at the law and at this legal definition of the roundabout and stop and wait for everything.

allde

Postby allde » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:11 pm

I reckon the best is when your in there first, but they want to enter doing 80kph, then they blow their horn at you.

Salman

Postby Salman » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:28 pm

That happened to me when I was giving my teenage daughter her driving lesson. It shook her up pretty badly.

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:41 am

There are some drivers who refuse to enter a roundabout unless there is nothing else coming. i.e. they give way to everything within sight. You can't do much about that if you are stuck behind them.
You have entered the roundabout only if you are in (or partly in) a carriageway which circumnavigates the central island. So if a car coming around the roundabout can not hit you then you are probably not in the roundabout.
The problem I find with most roundabouts is that some people look at the law and at this legal definition of the roundabout and stop and wait for everything.

I don't think any of them have looked at the law. They all just assume they need to give way to traffic on their right and that anyone on the left will stop for them as they approach at speed.

The obligation to give way to other vehicles at roundabouts is very clearly set out in the legislation. A much better question is the whether the driver approaching or exiting a roundabout has any obligation to give way to pedestrians. I can not find anything that says a driver has to give way to pedestrians wanting to cross the road at a roundabout. So Pedestrians have to take their chances when crossing the road at a roundabout.

allde

Postby allde » Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:51 pm

But doesn't a pedestrian have right of way, at all times Hardy?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:57 pm

i'm struggling to think of a situation where a pedestrian has a right of way over a motor vehicle which is not specified in the road rules.

allde

Postby allde » Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:11 pm

e'g. There is some kind of march happening in the city, holding up traffic, the march is illegal.
I drive through the march running over toes because they wouldn't get out the way, I'm not at fault because cars have the right over pedestrians?

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:33 pm

That's dangerous driving or assault or worse. It has nothing to do with anyone's obligation to give way.
You could never be found guilty of failure to give way in a situation like that.

crocodile

Postby crocodile » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:26 pm

I always thought that the vehicle in the roundabout has right of way. I can find no mention of 'approaching from the right' anywhere. The rule book just says give way to vehicles already in the roundabout. To me that says that if I'm first in the roundabout, the vehicle on the right that is approaching but not in the roundabout gives way to me. It seems to be spelt out here along with Hardy's query re pedestrians at roundabouts.

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/road-rules/a-to-z-of-road-rules/roundabouts

Return to “Everything else....”