Road Rules vs Road Safety Act

FarSur81

Road Rules vs Road Safety Act

Postby FarSur81 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 am

In regards to this
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4392&hilit=road+rules+2017
And the fact I was at a friends house the other day and they were going on & on about rights, and government conspiracy's etc. (No wonder I drink) :P

So One point they did make was rules are not enforceable. They were referring to the Covid-19 rules and how they are not an act of parliament (Which I looked up, and there is some emergency act of parliament)

Q. Are the road rules 2017 actually enforceable, as in can police, local council hand out an infringement notice, fine etc under section something ?

Or can they only hand out fines, etc under the Road Safety Act of 2xxx ?

Thanks

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Road Rules vs Road Safety Act

Postby Hardy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:32 pm

The Road Safety Road Rules 2017 are enforced by police or by VicRoads.
They are regulations made pursuant to s.95(1) Road Safety Act 1986. The starting point of arguing the Road Rules are not law is to dispute that they were lawfully made pursuant to the regulatory power set out in s.95 and Schedule 2, clauses 42 to 49.
Every day there are people in court defending themselves against charges laid against them for alleged offences against the Road Rules.
I have never seen anyone argue in court that the Road Rules do not create offences, probably because it is an absurd idea. Schedule 2 clearly authorises the Road Rules to be made as regulations under the Act. Same goes for directions of the Chief Health Officer. The legislation makes it an offence to fail to comply with such a direction.

Return to “Everything else....”