General Driving behaviour

FarSur81

General Driving behaviour

Postby FarSur81 » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:12 pm

Hi,
Does this forum have a general legal discussion section, or is 'everything else' Okay?

Q. I have observed several people driving on naturestrips and footpaths recently, mainly due to the house having 5 or 6 vehicles. For whatever reason they don't park them on the street, unless it's directly out the front of their own house.
Whom do I report this to.
From what I know, Parking is a Local Laws issue, and I have reported this to them, but nothing has been done.
Driving on the foot path. There is a tree planted on the nature strip, and the only way around it, is to drive the vehicle on the foot path. During the winter, it was quite obvious as to how a vehicle achieved this, and I am sure I took a photo. Is this Local Laws or Victoria Police?

I Have also hear that, to make a complaint, that the police would follow up on, you need to do some specific form. Is this correct?
Does this forum provide support or guides on how to make a complaint or report to Local Laws and or Police, regarding people operating vehicles on a nature Strip and/or foot path?
Thanks

Faroukh

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: General Driving behaviour

Postby Hardy » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:02 pm

If it's a parking offence, the council deals with it. The police can too, but they probably won't.
If it's a driving offence, the police deal with it, but they will need to ask the registered operator who last had the car and do a bit of chasing up which is unlikely to happen just because you report someone drove on a footpath without running anyone over. If the police had to knock on doors or write s.60 letters every time someone saw an idiot in a car they would need to employ another 50,000 police. I've been assaulted by motorists and had property damaged and the police either do nothing whatsoever or they investigate but lay no charges because they don't think it is worth the hassle. For example, a motorist failing to give way to a bike at a roundabout is captured on video and a report is made to the police. The police interview the driver who makes full admissions, but because his reason for failing to give way is "I didn't see the bike" (because he never looked) that is apparently good enough not to issue an infringement notice. So if any of you is ever accused of failing to give way, a good response that should get you off is simply to say "Sorry, I didn't see them".

Boki

Postby Boki » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:24 pm

Hardy wrote:...the police either do nothing whatsoever or they investigate but lay no charges because they don't think it is worth the hassle.

Unfortunately, it's sad but true.
On the contrary, they are more than happy to write up 'Careless Driving' infringement notices to both drivers that have been involved in a minor car collision regardless of who is at fault.

oscar

Postby oscar » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:27 pm

Hardy wrote: I've been assaulted by motorists and had property damaged and the police either do nothing whatsoever or they investigate but lay no charges because they don't think it is worth the hassle. For example, a motorist failing to give way to a bike at a roundabout is captured on video and a report is made to the police. The police interview the driver who makes full admissions, but because his reason for failing to give way is "I didn't see the bike" (because he never looked) that is apparently good enough not to issue an infringement notice.

I haven't posted here in a few years, but do read most threads. Most threads are boring. Same questions from different shit drivers. However, just felt the urge to comment here.

Sean, guess what? Vic police know you and don't like you, so they don't tend to follow up on your complaints....just saying. Lay down with dogs etc...

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:43 pm

It’s not about me. I get no cut if a ticket is issued to another motorist. The report is about dangerous drivers and the issue is whether the police think anything needs to be done about them. Obviously not. The person reporting an offence to police never gets anything out of it except hassles.

FarSur81

Postby FarSur81 » Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:15 pm

Sounds reasonable.
Even if the police or Local Laws are to lazy to investigate, I am still interested in making a complaint.
A new reason is today, I observed some idiot driving the full length of a road on the footpath (50 metres) and there was plenty of room on the road, as in no parked cars, etc. I just checked the vehicles rego, and it's recently unregistered. That's just bloody crazy.
Footpath + unregistered + uninsured = you shouldn't have a license
Since it's Christmas day, they are probably drunk as well.

But thanks, Hardy, and others for the responses

Faroukh

Return to “Everything else....”