Drink Driving Charge Leaked

MDakota

Drink Driving Charge Leaked

Postby MDakota » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:15 pm

Hi, I was given a TIN for 0.07 in October 2015. I have recently received my Summons and Charge Sheet and will be in contact to arrange a conference in the coming week prior to my court date on 21st January. My concern is that despite the police stating that my charge is confidential, I have received a couple of comments indicating that my charge is know within the community. Today a local business person stated in the presence of others that he knew I was going to court. Can this jeopardize my chances of a fair hearing? I live in a small remote community and manage a large contract. I am concerned this will impact on my chances of a fair hearing and also my professional reputation in the future.

Whilst I understand that a magistrate cannot give a lesser licence disqualification period, there are reasonable mitigating circumstances, of which I wish to explore.

I have rejected the TIN and am waiting until S Hardy has returned after the 11th to book a conferencr and receive advice. In the meantime, I am concerned with such knowledge of my position being known in the community. I had specifically asked for confidentiality... Does a drink driving charge come without the right to confidentiality?

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Drink Driving Charge Leaked

Postby Hardy » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:27 pm

You're lucky it was not on Chanel 7's RBT or front page of the Geelong Addy.
I've heard the police are putting on Facebook names and photos of people of they want to speak to about executing warrants of arrest. They also have a media department which pumps out media releases where they identify people who are alleged to have committed offences and that information is sent to media outlets so it can be publicised. There is no such thing as privacy or confidentiality for people who are accused of committing offences.

If you want to see me prior to the first mention you had better send an email to request a conference on 11.1.16.

MDakota

Postby MDakota » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:59 pm

Thanks SH. You are correct, I'm grateful it isn't on social media nor Chanel 7's RBT. I'll move on from my concerns about privacy. Email requesting conference should be received by you today.

Kind regards and thank you for your response.

Day

Postby Day » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:32 pm

Look you name up on the local magistrates court listings.

Return to “Police issues”