Police give warning and then receive a fine in mail

csimmo1

Police give warning and then receive a fine in mail

Postby csimmo1 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:46 pm

Hi
Does anyone know if it is legal for the police to give a warning when they have pulled you over and then issue a fine in the mail?

Look forward to some advice on this one.

Mutley

Re: Police give warning and then receive a fine in mail

Postby Mutley » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:43 pm

In short for all traffic matters police have 12 months to write a ticket or issue a summons.

Are you sure they stated they are giving youna warning, or was it more like you won't get a ticket now, but you might get one in the post? What is your driving history like, could they have looked up your history and decided your history is not worthy of a warning?

Boki

Postby Boki » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:51 pm

Yes it is 'legal' for them to do that.

Mutley wrote:What is your driving history like, could they have looked up your history and decided your history is not worthy of a warning?

They should be doing that in the car, not after they have assured the driver that they will let him off with a warning.

Day

Postby Day » Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:24 pm

Boki wrote:Yes it is 'legal' for them to do that.

Mutley wrote:What is your driving history like, could they have looked up your history and decided your history is not worthy of a warning?

They should be doing that in the car, not after they have assured the driver that they will let him off with a warning.

Technology doesn't work 100% of the time, so they may not have had the chance. :mrgreen:

Ponala

Postby Ponala » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, it is legal to do that. I would think they you may find they didn't give a 'warning', but a 'you may get a ticket in the mail' quote.

On an aside and related to same in the VPM's it is written that if police give a warning for traffic offences, then they can't then turn around and give a ticket/penalty notice/charge - this applies to where police give a penalty notice for say 1 offence and give you a warning for others you committed at the time. When that person contests the penalty notice, police cannot then turn around and give you charges for the 'warnings' they gave you.

rustyone

Postby rustyone » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm

Ponala wrote: When that person contests the penalty notice, police cannot then turn around and give you charges for the 'warnings' they gave you.

how long has been the case? 30 years ago i contested a speeding ticket (that's all that was on the TIN), but when the breif came it had careless, and fail to give way added to it. Ponala i really think your head is in thr clouds some days :shock:

Day

Postby Day » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:59 pm

rustyone wrote:
Ponala wrote: When that person contests the penalty notice, police cannot then turn around and give you charges for the 'warnings' they gave you.

how long has been the case? 30 years ago i contested a speeding ticket (that's all that was on the TIN), but when the breif came it had careless, and fail to give way added to it. Ponala i really think your head is in thr clouds some days :shock:

An incident that happened 30 years ago, or a current police prosecutor, who has not given bad advice yet, and they some days have their head in the clouds? :roll: i would throw that line right back atya rusty. :mrgreen:

Ponala

Postby Ponala » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:31 pm

Unfortunately most police don't know about this in the VPM's, so do it anyhows.

I always put on my withdrawal reports in these cases - 'as per VPM's, additional charges cannot be laid'.

Slattery

Postby Slattery » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:33 am

"When that person contests the penalty notice, police cannot then turn around and give you charges for the 'warnings' they gave you."

That is why some members just issue the lot at ALL times.

rustyone

Postby rustyone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 am

so does that mean back in 1978 when i was given the ticket for speeding thats all it should have been even when i took it to court?
maybe the rules where different then, because when my brief came it had those others added. or maybe thats just the way coutry coppers worked back then? :(

Return to “Police issues”