personal info

russelcat

personal info

Postby russelcat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:30 pm

I know its not completely legal to listen in on police communications , but listening to the scanner i often hear police doing licence and rego checks ,thats ok but then they ask if the driver has any convictions , the operator then blurts out everything they can find on a person and everyone listening can hear it .

I believe that if you are stopped for a routine licence check then thats all the police need to know ,if you are wanted then that should be flagged and the info given to the cop but why do they need to know if youve been arrested or convicted in the past ?

One case was about the person having an assault charge 28 years prior , for the life of me i cant understand why the cop needed to know that , apart from they get a kick out of going back to the driver and taunting them about ancient history :roll: .

Maybe there is a valid reason for it but im lost as to why it happens and in particular why its broadcast on an open transmission for all to hear . :?

Day

Re: personal info

Postby Day » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:39 pm

Most transmissions in this state are digitally encripted, so can't be heard. That and the fact most checks are by the mobile data terminal. It is only the country one's that can be listened to which may change.

As to the reason for getting a criminal check, it may be related to the offence they have the personfor, are there warrants etc, and what they are for, but the most likely reason is that the person was stopped for a traffic offence and claimed they weren't carrying their licence. The officer would have asked a series of questions you would expect only the person they are claiming to be would know. Hence the check of priors. If you don't want your history cast over their air whilst travelling in the boonies, carry your licnce on you to minimise the detail they would ask for.

I thought people were not meant to listen in on police communications? Or was that use the info once heard? Either way, sort of a bit creepy?! :?

Chef

Postby Chef » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Its also important to know who you're dealing with. Bloke has numerous priors for resist/assault etc, your spidy tingly senses might elevate.

Priors for drugs, coupled with behavior, location and that bit of garden hose in the front seat may give you grounds to search and so forth.

There is also psych issues that can come up that are important to know "is paranoid", all this helps you build a picture of who you are dealing with and react accordingly.

Without going into too much operational info, there is also items that flag on a persons record (IBR for those who listen) that don't come up on licence screens.

Things that also come up that are handy to know:

Security/Firearms licence status (intercepted in a security vehicle, should he be in one...)
Fingerprinted in the past - good way to confirm ID as DAY pointed out
Differing addresses between licence and police file can assist ongoing inquiries
Alias/Scars, Marks, Tattoos etc

It's not illegal to use a scanner, you can't attempt to break an encrypted frequency, but in the not too distant future, they will be redundant as we go fully encrypted. AV will also be coming across, and last I heard the SES were going digital as well. Haven't heard anything about fire services CFA/MFB/DSE going across.

russelcat

Postby russelcat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:32 pm

[quote][Haven't heard anything about fire services CFA/MFB/DSE going across.Chef

I can confirm that CFA , DSE and SES will be going digital in the very near future as soon as the blind spots in country areas can be sorted out.

Ok was just curious but still think there is no need for complete history just for a licence / rego check but understand that it may be nessacary in some instances , just makes it hard for local small town people when others know every little detail about thier past , the grape vine works well in these areas ,lol

Slattery

Postby Slattery » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:52 am

All subject to funding naturally chef :wink:

Return to “Police issues”