Possible Reckless or Careless Driving

Sean555

Possible Reckless or Careless Driving

Postby Sean555 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi all,

When I got to the end of a street, a lolly pop man (slow sign) came up to my drivers side door.
I stopped the car and the lolly pop man jabbed his pole into my side door and started shouting at me.

I opened my door to ask what he was doing and he started to abuse me. I said I was going to call the police and he started swearing at me.
I closed my door as his breath smelt of alcohol. He punched my side window, so I drove away as this person was acting like a lunatic.

I went to the police station to file a complaint of damage to my door from the lolly pop mans pole.

Thanks
Last edited by Sean555 on Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Possible Reckless or Careless Driving

Postby Hardy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:47 pm

I can't imagine anyone wanting to call the police for a traffic accident they are involved in unless their life was at risk. I mean, how are the police going to help you? Traffic police just issue tickets to as many people as possible then move to the next job as soon as they can. If you want your car repaired make a claim on your policy or sue the lollypop man or his employer.

Sean555

Postby Sean555 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:30 pm

Hi Hardy,

Thanks for responding.

To clarify, as it may not have come across clearly in my original post, as the lollypop man attacked my car and verbally threatened me, I thought it relevant to report this to the police in case this crazy person does this to other people.

I had also gone to the police, as I do not know the attackers name. I know the company he works for but need the assistance of the police to obtain his name.

I assumed I need the persons name to make a no fault claim on my insurance policy ? Is this not correct ?

Thanks

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 9:23 pm

The police won't give you his name. But if it ends up in court and you are called as a witness then you will quickly be able to work it out.

Sean555

Postby Sean555 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:58 am

Hi Hardy,

I understand to file a 'not at fault' claim I need to identify the perpetrator.

If the Police won't provide the attackers name, do you know how do I file a 'not at fault' claim with my insurance company if all I have is the name of the company the lollypop man works for ?

Thanks

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Ask your insurance company what they will accept. I think they will be happy with the name of the employer, because the employer will have insurance and deep pockets while the employee will be pennyless. These “no fault” claims are relatively new things. Back in the good old days everyone just paid their excess regardless and hoped for a refund if the insurer managed to get full recovery. The police often say they can’t disclose personal information even when the other party has a legal obligation to exchange name and address with you. Probably the best way to get the name of the employee is to commence a court case against the police to force them to disclose it - it would be easier to pay the excess.

Return to “Dangerous and Careless driving”