Application for extension of time to nominate

Court proceedings and Legal Process
AnxiousT

Application for extension of time to nominate

Postby AnxiousT » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:48 pm

Hello!

I’ve landed in a bit of a pickle.

I was not the driver (registered owner) for a number of speeding offences, including an excessive speeding offence - all via traffic camera.

I did not receive any of the notices, I happened across the suspended status of my license via the vicroads website when attempting to check the status of my address change - I had lodged via the vicroads website 3 times however now know they will not change your address with suspension pending or active (they also won’t notify that it is not being processed). I learned of the fines after contacting the police to confirm my license suspension - they were able to provide me with a high level view and confirm they did not have any requirement to speak with me related to this issue.

I have lodged an application and affadafit sighting I did not recieve the notices with the Magistrates Court to apply for more time to nominate - as the offences were committed in Sep-Oct 2018, I am also abiding by the suspension until the matter is settled.

I’m feeling very anxious about having to go to court - I haven’t ever been in any kind of trouble and have a great driving record. My father leant the car to a friend (whose details I have info license number, along with a stat dec from him sighting he was the driver & my father sighting he leant the car to him).

The court registrar intimated that this is a reasonably administrative process however, I am very anxious and have no idea what to expect. Is this application something I need representation for or should I await the application outcome at the Magistrates and then engage a solicitor if denied?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Application for extension of time to nominate

Postby Hardy » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:39 pm

I deal with these applications at least every month.
There is no right of appeal, so you need to get it right. You can't lodge a second application. You need the first application to win. If your paperwork is all in order, you should succeed. If it is not in order, you might be able to correct it during the running. Once the order is made, you then need to get your nomination or objection lodged properly. This is sometimes not as simple as it sounds - they can reject it for nefarious reasons. Hope that helps.

AnxiousT

Re: Application for extension of time to nominate

Postby AnxiousT » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:49 pm

It does.

Thanks so much for the reply. I feel that the paperwork is all correct (have lodged two applications - one for objection to xs speed & one for all the other non-xs speeding issues.

Can calm a little bit now, thank you. Will review options to make an appointment.

Thank you,
T

Return to “Courts and Lawyers”