CANNOT TRANSFER VEHICLE TO MY NAME

Court proceedings and Legal Process
jdcttp

CANNOT TRANSFER VEHICLE TO MY NAME

Postby jdcttp » Thu Jan 28, 2016 11:46 am

Hi everyone,

I have a issue that is stressing me out and I hope to find some answers if possible via this forum.

The issue is, I have recently purchased a car. The process was my friend buying it off his friend and then I buy it off him(my friend). However, the vehicle's registration was not transferred to either me or my friends names because I still had to sell my previous car to get the funds at the time to pay my friend. At this stage the car was purchased by my friend already just car registration weren't transferred yet. A few weeks later, the car was impounded and seller is in custody.
The car is out now, but seller is still in custody. I was advised by Vic Roads that there is a block on the car and only the person that is registered can lift the block but couldn't disclose what type of block the car had on it. What is this block? I did a Rev check and it shows finance owing to impoundment unit. What does that mean?

I would like to clarify. I have researched a bit, and found that I will have to wait for the seller to plead guilty and/or finalise his case before any action can be taken regarding the car. Is this correct? and the car has a chance of being forfeited? What are the percentages of transferring the car to my name and not forfeited?

The car is currently registered, also read that the registration can still be re-newed, is that the case?

please help.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: CANNOT TRANSFER VEHICLE TO MY NAME

Postby Hardy » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:51 pm

You won't be able to register the car in your name unit the sheriff or the impound unit directs vicroads to remove the block on transfer of the registration. Speak to the seller of the car about that.
It would probably be easier if you bought a car from a dodgy used car dealer instead of trying to buy from friends who are in jail.

Return to “Courts and Lawyers”