A Reasonable and Honest but Mistaken Belief...

Court proceedings and Legal Process
Lawrie

A Reasonable and Honest but Mistaken Belief...

Postby Lawrie » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:55 pm

Several decades ago when I was a young know nothing police cadet in Queensland I listened to a law lecturer talk about the differences between Westminster Law and Napoleonic Law. Then there came a discussion about 'ignorance of the law was no defence' and then the topic of 'a reasonable and honest but mistaken belief in a set of circumstances that had they been correct no breach would have occurred.' It was one of the best things to come out of the long history of how Westminster Law is applied to keep a society free from tyrannical law makers that create self serving laws to make profits. Whats that old banker saying, "Create a law make a profit" So I have decided to go to court and support this law on an insignificant parking ticket that I feel was very unfairly issued at the Darwin Royal Hospital last week.

HONEST BUT MISTAKEN BELIEF... four very important words that I feel we need to hammer down these all for profit parking organisations and any other company out there creating private laws by way of unsigned contracts. Well unsigned by motorists and other, that have nothing to gain from the profits made out of them.

I would have no problem putting monies into charities and worthwhile community projects for the slightest infringement of predatory laws, but I will be dammed if I am going to contribute to lining the pockets of these parking company executives and such... your thoughts appreciated...

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: A Reasonable and Honest but Mistaken Belief...

Postby Hardy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:04 pm

What factual circumstances did you have an erroneous belief about?

Gravy

Re: A Reasonable and Honest but Mistaken Belief...

Postby Gravy » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:49 pm

A quick Google search indicates that Royal Darwin Hospital's car park is run by Wilson Security. The hospital's website refers to a "parking breach notice", not an infringement/penalty notice or fine.

I've no idea what NT legislation is like with regard to private parking notices (or if Wilson is in some way authorised to issue infringement notices at this location), but this looks like more ANCP/Care Park style rubbish.

Return to “Courts and Lawyers”