Bikes on Buses

Taxis, trams, buses etc
busdriver

Bikes on Buses

Postby busdriver » Sun Jan 22, 2017 12:34 pm

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sa/a/34241477 ... ght/#page1

I can't see why people are making such a song and dance out of this.

116—Carriage of bicycles and surfboards
(1) Subject to subregulation (2), a person must not bring a bicycle or surfboard onboard a
regular passenger service vehicle.
Maximum penalty: $750.
Expiation fee: $105.
(2) A bicycle or surfboard may be brought onboard a regular passenger service vehicle
if—
(a) the Minister has determined that the vehicle is of a kind in which it is suitable
to carry such items; and
(b) space permits; and
(c) the appropriate fee or fare (if any) has been paid.

Section 116 of Passenger Transport Regulations 2009 in South Australia clearly states that bicycles are not permitted to taken on buses, the only vehicles that minister has determined that suitable for bicycles are trains in South Australia. Even though this bus was a replacing a train service, the regulations relating to buses need to be applied.

Day

Re: Bikes on Buses

Postby Day » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:52 pm

It's not a song and dance when the service provided previously was unavailable and the poor girl is kicked out of the bus in the middle of the night. Pathetic bureaucratic loss of way.

freddie

Postby freddie » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:46 pm

now Day - that bicycle could easily have gone on a homicidal rampage. we all know the insatiable murderous bloodlust of bicycles on buses. dont we.

busdriver thank you for providing me with another entry to my 'only in australia' file

is there any other country on earth, or in history, which revels in giant displays of anal retentiveness in the face of common sense ?

the rod up this country's ass has a rod up it's ass

probably more than one

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:06 pm

Maybe she should have remained onboard and asked them to issue an infringement notice. And I wonder if she had a ticket for a bus trip as opposed to a train trip?

Day

Postby Day » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:46 pm

Hey Freddie, I have visited and lived in countries that are more up tight with rules, but it is the social norm, so people expect you to follow the rules, however..... I can't help agreeing with you on the magnitude of "giant displays of anal retentiveness in the face of common sense ?" that this is an example of..... :shock:

Those places were stable on a societal level, so abandoning someone by the side of the road would have been abhorrent.

busdriver

Postby busdriver » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:05 pm

Hardy wrote:Maybe she should have remained onboard and asked them to issue an infringement notice. And I wonder if she had a ticket for a bus trip as opposed to a train trip?

Well only about every second person actually pays the correct fare on train here in Adelaide.

As driver I had many times where had to call the police to have people removed from my bus, generally the police will ask what I like done with them, my response is just issue them with infringement notice if you can.

Had that person been on my bus, I wouldn't have allowed them on board. Rules are Rules and we have duty of care to the other passengers, what people are forgetting if that vehicle had been involved in accident, the bicycle could have caused serious injury to someone.

Return to “Public Transport”