HR licence fail - looking for input

Carlowe

HR licence fail - looking for input

Postby Carlowe » Mon May 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi, I did my HR training and test, but was failed for one thing that occurred. I would like your input as to what rule was broken.
With the camera on, I was really nervous, and after about the second corner, had trouble changing up of all things (crash box). At the second go I realised I was having trouble, so while still trying to get it in gear, I checked mirrors, indicated, pulled over legally. Just as I came to a stop I found the @#?! gear, and did all the right stuff to pull out and keep going. Rest of the test was fine.

When we got back, instructor disappeared into the office, and came back out saying he could not pass me as I had not been in control of the vehicle at that point. He didn't seem.to agree, and I struggle to see how that was so, but it wasn't his call.

Can someone help out with what road rule was broken? I assume "297, Driver to have proper control of the vehicle etc" but how is "proper control" defined?

Cheers.

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: HR licence fail - looking for input

Postby Hardy » Mon May 15, 2017 11:03 pm

It is not a question of which road rule was broken.
The issue is whether the tester believed you are competent to be a driver of a heavy vehicle.
If a driver can not find a gear and has to pull over to do so, it is little wonder they failed you. They expect you to be able to drive the truck without being forced to stop in these circumstances. Stopping a heavy vehicle on a busy narrow road because you can not find a gear could be a problem. Basically, it indicates that you need more practice before you can be assessed as competent to drive a heavy vehicle on your own. While the truck is out of gear it has greatly reduced braking ability which could also be a concern to the tester.

Carlowe

Re: HR licence fail - looking for input

Postby Carlowe » Mon May 15, 2017 11:52 pm

I was told if I'd kept going straight and found the gear in the same timeframe ( 10 seconds or so) I would have been passed. I thought I was doing the safe and reasonable thing to pull over, and was never told during training that it would be a problem. I was anxious as soon as the camera was on me.

I appreciate your input, and I agree I needed more practice! See below. Its interesting the instructor didn't make the same comments or judgement call before allowing me to take the test.

I thought when I paid my $1600 that I would get more training; it was after all my second time ever driving one of these vehicles. But there was only a day and a half of driving before the test, and I was ill and had to wait more than a month before my second day. The training org refused to accommodate an extra paid session before the test. So I guess I was up against it, compared with people whose training is paid for by an employer and who have had some practice!

Return to “Trucks and heavy vehicles”