Give way to Ambulance

FarSur81

Give way to Ambulance

Postby FarSur81 » Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:45 am

Hi,
They other day, I stopped at a traffic light controlled intersection (First car), and I was turning right. I noticed about 3 blocks away to my left, on the road I was turning into some blue and red flashing lights. They, didn't appear to be moving.
Some time later 10-15 seconds, I noticed the vehicle (An Ambulance) had moved but only a short distance, to another intersection. Basically the whole time I was stopped, and waiting to turn, this Ambulance slowly made it's way towards me. I turned, and 10 seconds later the Ambulance was behind another vehicle, behind me, at a distance of almost 100meters.
I AM AWARE OF MY OBLIGATION TO GIVE WAY TO EMERGENCY VEHICLES
but I couldn't hear an siren, and they were way back. I wasn't sure of anything. Just a patient transport, or forgot to turn the warning lights off?
I decided to pull over, and the vehicle behind me, more or less followed, and then the Ambulance accelerated past us both, I could then hear the siren, and they made good speed. (80-90km/hr in a 60)

So. Since this is the first time emergency vehicle behind me, is this normal ? The emergency vehicle hangs back?
Should I have not entered the intersection as I knew there was an emergency vehicle approaching ? (At the time of entering the intersection they Ambulance was 3/4 up the block, white car in front of them, which may explain why the Ambulance was traveling slowly.

Any other comments, Please

Hardy
Site Admin

Re: Give way to Ambulance

Postby Hardy » Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:14 pm

You are required to give way. You can't do that until you are driving in a way which impedes their path.

FarSur81

Postby FarSur81 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:18 am

So it would be normal that the Ambulance "hangs back" and siren it's audible?
OR.
So my Brain can handle it.
If there are flashing lights, pull over ? (Or at least give way, make room).

Hardy
Site Admin

Postby Hardy » Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:13 am

The siren is is not so important. If the lights are flashing you need to get out of the way if you can do so without committing an offence. I'm not sure what your problem is.

Gravy

Postby Gravy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 9:52 am

Emergency services, particularly ambos it seems, are a bit more selective with the siren these days. From what I've observed it's no longer the case that lights and siren go on when there's an emergency; it's lights go on, and the siren is used approaching intersections or to get someone's attention if they haven't noticed the lights. I think it's much more common these days to see lights only, which makes sense as there's no need to annoy the whole neighbourhood with a siren if they're blasting down a clear road.

Return to “Other traffic offences”